BA 662 (BA again, sorry)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Like many of us here (I suspect), I spend a considerable amount of time away from my family and so holiday time together is special to us.
    We are in beautiful Northern Cyprus having driven over the border from Larnaca.

This is very likely to be the last time we holiday together because our ‘children’ are no longer children 19 & 24.

So, the point of the post – instead of Jet2 from Leeds, I decided to treat us to BA Business via LHR (including the CC room as a special treat before I lose the card in Nov).
    I used Avios and a redemption for all tickets and the family were really looking forward to the luxury of BA as opposed to Jet2 loco.
    So, where did it go wrong?

1) The priority boarding at LHR queue was longer than
    economy.
    2) A tired and worn out 767 that looked like the interior was held together with selotape.
    3) My seat was broken and would slowly recline if I leant back at all.
    4) My daughters head rest hung down at an angle of 45 degrees and could not be adjusted.
    5) My tray table was dirty and the magazine pockets were damaged beyond repair.
    6) My family were expecting individual IFE….there was just one screen.
    7) The audio in the entire front section of the CE cabin was broken so, no film then.

The crew were, quote, “embarrassed” by the state of the interior.
    I jokingly told the CSD that I think I should get 50% of my Avios back, he actually agreed and came back later telling me tbat he had “taken care of it”.
    Ten days later, nothing showing on my account.

On the plus side, arrived on time safely.
    Parting shot from my family was most telling however, “back to Jet2 next year then”

With apologies for those who prefer not to read negative comments about BA 😉

ST

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Just had excellent flights to and from Larnaca on Aegean… Just sayin’….

SimonS1
    Participant

Standard BA stuff really. The 767s are past their expiry date and awaiting the scrap yard.

Pleased to see some BA bullshit thrown in for good measure. The famous iPads that record things but you don’t realise they are those dummy models that retail for a fiver at the Saturday market.

Let us know if you ever see your Avios…I know what my money is on.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The OP pretty much describes my last flight from Larnaca to London on BA and that was several years ago.

The only thing missing was the high number of staff, family and friends, who received far more attention/service than the rest of us.

BA can fill these flights and doesn’t give a stuff, unfortunately.

At least the 76 has decent seat pitch in CE.

DoorsToManual
    Participant

#standardba

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=822944]Standard BA stuff really. The 767s are past their expiry date and awaiting the scrap yard.

Pleased to see some BA bullshit thrown in for good measure. The famous iPads that record things but you don’t realise they are those dummy models that retail for a fiver at the Saturday market.

[/quote]

Still nothing as today. I have the CSD name and will be calling the GGL line to follow up when I am home.
    Some would say I should have known better and, maybe they’re right.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I will stand by the CSD – the avios will appear…

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=822944]

[/quote]

3 weeks later and nothing from BA.
    Called them this morning and was told that they have no record of my complaint and would I like to make one?

I have the CSD’s name – what should I do?

K1ngston
    Participant

Go for it ST, thats what he said, you may need to throw him under the bus ……

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=824285]

3 weeks later and nothing from BA.
    Called them this morning and was told that they have no record of my complaint and would I like to make one?

I have the CSD’s name – what should I do?

[/quote]

Complain. At best a loophole in BA processes, at worst you have been lied to.

As before I know what my money would be on.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Seasonedtraveller,your family seem to have wisdom and good sense in equal measure.
    Now that BA have downgraded to a low cost model,Jet2 in my opinion beats BA hands down.
    It’s my favoured airline if they fly the route I want. And actually I’d happily pay a wee bit more to fly them. Excellent cabin crew,good cabins and overall consistently better than BA,EZ and of course FR.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Ok, to close this thread off;

I put a call into GGL line this morning & they again confirmed that no complaint had been logged by the CSD.

I was called back in less than 5 min’s by Customer Care who apologised and immediately added 30,000 Avios to my account, about which I am more than happy (it was 20,000 more than I expected and essentially paid for one of the seats).

Shame I had to do all the chasing but, hey ho 😉

nevereconomy
    Participant

Very brave to fly BA on a route where the equipment is a 767, or for that matter a 747. They are getting very long in the tooth and understandably, given their age, are not getting much love an attention. They do seem to end up on routes where every seat can be filled, regardless. Was in PHL last week waiting for my AA flight and the incoming BA – 747 currently – was 3 hours late – presumably something that fell off before departure had to be glued back on.
    I hope the poor experience did not spoil the holiday too much. After all the aggravation, the AVIOS helped a little
    to ease the pain, I imagine..

SimonS1
    Participant

I suppose 30,000 Avios is a fair reward for flying on a crappy old 767 and being lied to by the airline. I wonder what happened – CSD lied that he had dealt with it, or GGL lied when they said a report had never been received.

Shame our old friend VK isn’t around to tell us how this is a fantastic example of luxury travel on BA.

But in all seriousness your family were right. Jet2 gets the job done, generally on a more direct routing, with newer aircraft and a similar low cost ethos to BA.

openfly
    Participant

I’d rather fly on a “classic” aircraft that is well maintained, with highly experienced flight crew rather than a brand new all singing, all dancing new aircraft operated by flight crew with dubious background and training.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls