Cathay Pacific B777-300 Regional (773) Business

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Pds1205
    Participant

The new regional business class seats are NOT comfortable at all. Can’t rest comfortably. No privacy. Miss the flat beds. I was always looking forward to be on a cx flight. now it is like being on a US flight!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Flat beds? And privacy? On regional aircraft?

Oh, of course, you’re comparing a long-haul product (used on a regional route) with a regional product. Which hardly seems fair…

Furthermore, having flown CX regional Business and AA domestic First flights quite a bit over the last few months, I would say there isn’t a huge amount of difference in the comfort of the seat itself. However, while there is more space on AA First, there is no legrest, no lazyboy position, no IFE. Certainly no flat bed or privacy. Again, not really a justifiable comparison.

Lying-Flat
    Participant

Pds1205, what route did you fly? That’s kind of surprising, as I remember flying HKG-CEB on 333 past September and the flight did have flat beds – it was great for a 3hr flight.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Ian_from_HKG – 26/03/2014 04:42 GMT

Can you be clear on what you mean by CX regional? Does this apply to flights up to a certain duration or does the term also cover Dragonair? I am hoping to try out some CX/KA services for myself this Summer and Autumn and would be interested on your explanation – particularly compare and contrast CX/KA.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

When I said regional, I meant services other than long-haul. CX doesn’t distinguish between short-haul and mid-haul, they are just regional and long-haul. I am not sure what the cut-off is – I think it is somewhere in the 5-hour range, although it is not at all uncommon for CX to roster long-haul aircraft on regional routes (either because of peak demand, or to keep aircraft in the air, or for whatever other reason).

All the long-haul CX aircraft have fully-flat beds in business class. On the A340 and B747 (all of which are going to be retired, which is why they haven’t been retrofitted) these are the old herringbone seats, often derided as “coffins” because they were rather narrow and high-sided – albeit still quite comfortable. On the A330 and B777 fleet which now make up the bulk of the long-haul fleet, these are the much-lauded new reverse herringbone seats.

CX’s regional aircraft also have two types of seat – old regional. and new regional. The old fleet is all being retrofitted – I am not sure how that is progressing, but CX tend to be pretty rapid in their retrofits so I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority now have the new seats. You can read about the different seats at http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/inflight/travel-classes.html

KA historically have had their own seats, quite different from those on Cathay. They are aligning these somewhat by introducing the same new regional business class seat, but since KA is almost exclusively a regional airline (it does offer a couple of longer routes, such as Bangalore, but these are the exception) it doesn’t have fully-flat beds in business (ie no equivalent of the CX long-haul business). Having said that, they are also replacing their old angled-lieflat first class seats with the CX long-haul business class seat. So there will be increasing similarity in business class – KA business will be the same as CX regional business – but a marked difference in first class. However, KA still has a large portion of the fleet that hasn’t been retrofitted – which means old-fashioned armchair-style business class seats with no PTV. The other obvious difference is that most of KA’s fleet is narrowbody, while CX is exclusively widebody. You can read about KA’s seating at http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_HK/travel-information/inflight/aircraft-interior.html

Service standards on KA definitely aren’t up to CX standards, by and large, although are stil likely to be better than on most European regional services.

When flying out of HKG, KA may direct you to the G16 lounge. Avoid this at all costs (it’s crap) unless you like hawker-stall-style Chinese food, and use one of the CX lounges instead (which are you perfectly entitled to do whether you have lounge access by virtue of cabin flown or oneworld status)

I hope that’s helpful. but if you have any other questions do let me know

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Ian_from_HKG – 04/04/2014 05:02 GMT

Many thanks for your response – much appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls