260 Tier Points Needed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

BenGolf
    Participant

Hi

After some help please I need to get 260 Tier points to reach Gold Status with BA, what would the most cost effective way of doing this be? Ideally involving a very short midweek trip or two, before the 2nd week in October?

Thanks for your help

mkcol74
    Participant

I think somewhere like Helsinki return would get you 160pts in Club. Tag on a quick Amsterdam or Jersey return & you’re pretty much there.

You can use http://www.owenrudge.net/utils/bacalc/ to check what points & Avios you’ll earn.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Or perhaps a business class bargain to South Africa or Hong Kong booked ex Oslo or Milan?

KarlMarx
    Participant

Moscow, Cairo, Amman or Beirut in Club World – 280 tier points.

cityprofessional
    Participant

DME, CAI, BEY and HEL are good for TPs, and not far away, but not cheap – fine if you have £2k each to sink on midweek J tickets. For cost effective, but more of a time sink, you’d have to go further – e.g. I’ve just done DXB in J ex-Italy for just over £1k – yielding 360 TPs and more than enough Avios to cover the positioning flight. But it does mean an extra day to position in LIN (or AMS/BRU/LUX, etc) at the start of your journey…

KarlMarx
    Participant

AMM and BEY are under £1.6k.

SimonS1
    Participant

Is it really worth spending that much just for status?

peter19
    Participant

I am doing a 240 run in the next 2 months but I am retaining silver so I feel there is a benefit for me personally based on my travel next year and I wanted a holiday!

I was looking at PE trip with a UK domestic via London to Dubai stopping in Doha but i have ended up doing 2 long weekend trips.
    1 x Malta Club Europe 200 tier points and 1 x Prague Economy , agian with a UK domestic sector which comes out at 40 tier points.

I booked both of these as a hotel+ Flight booking on BA and if i work out very roughly then the flight costs would have been around £450-500?

BenGolf
    Participant

Thanks for your replies, very helpful

Yeah I know what you mean with regards to cost, I fly most weeks with work & wanted to see if there was much of difference with upgrades being Gold instead of Silver, my flights are always booked for me direct & economy if BA don’t fly direct I fly another airline, had I thought I could have easily split my journeys to reach gold. Haven’t looked into it before now. Often I fly back straight after work so a bed or even a bit more room premium is much appreciated, am really grateful for the upgrades I currently receive but surely would be more frequent with gold status.

peter19
    Participant

If its just the chance of upgrades you are looking for @ Gold then i’m not sure its worth the hassle (or cost) trying to achieve the status. They are rare these days and often completely random…

cityprofessional
    Participant

Having been mostly blue, once upon a time Silver, and now inherited (from bmi) and then renewed Gold, and I can say that it is worth being Gold if you travel frequently and want recognition (more than just lounges and fast track, which you get with Silver). If you’re only 260 points away, and it’s not too much hassle to do it, then I would try

Generally staff will go out of their way for you more as Gold. I’ve had a couple of welcome (but unexpected) upgrades, including one as I boarded the plane on Monday from a purser who recognised me from the previous day and said I was welcome to sit anywhere there was a spare seat in club!

The other big advantage for me is seat pre-selection – you always get first dibs of the good seats, which I never got a shot at as a silver or blue, no matter how “full fare” my ticket was, nor how big a corporate customer my company is (clue: top 10 globally)

BenGolf
    Participant

Yeah that’s the prime reason, they are becoming much harder to get, but do happen, flew 12 oneworld flights in the first two weeks of August, and upgraded twice, surely a gold card holder would be ahead on the list over a silver

Bath_VIP
    Participant

CityProfessional

I am BA silver and I can choose my seats for free when booking so there is no difference with Gold in this respect.

cityprofessional
    Participant

@Bath VIP. It’s the front row seats in WT+ and CW – I believe they are only initially released to Gold

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls