Hong Kong’s Crowne Plaza Hotel will assist the city’s health department with its investigation into a suspected food poisoning incident at its in-house restaurant Kudos that sickened 13 people.
Deven Leung, the hotel’s senior marketing communications manager, told Business Traveller Asia-Pacific that the hotel will “keep in close contact” with the authorities and assist in their investigations.
Those affected by the incident include six men and seven women aged between 24 and 42, who developed abdominal pain, nausea, fever, diarrhea and vomiting around 14 to 61 hours after they had a dinner buffet at the hotel’s in-house restaurant Kudos on February 16, according to Hong Kong’s Centre for Health Protection (CHP).
10 sought medical attention, but none needed to be hospitalised. All the affected people are in a stable condition.
The CHP warned diners to be “discerning” when “choosing cold dishes, including sashimi, sushi and raw oysters”. The Crowne Plaza Hong Kong has since suspended offerings of oysters and Boston lobsters, Leung said.
UK-based Crowne Plaza is an upscale hotel brand of InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG). Opened in 2009, Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay is a 29-storey hotel that has 263 guest rooms.
Kudos, on Level 1 of the hotel, is an all-day dining restaurant serving international cuisine and buffets.
Business Traveller has previously reported on how to avoid food poisoning when you travel, with an expert advising that individuals can minimise their risk if they have a good understanding of the origins of food-borne illnesses and take the necessary precautions.