Starwood Hotels has unveiled its tie-up between Starwood Preferred Guest and Design Hotels, the group with over 287 design-led hotels worldwide, and some 41 hotels across Asia-Pacific including the Mira Hotels in Hong Kong, New Majestic and Wanderlust in Singapore and the Puli and Waterhouse on the Bund in Shanghai (to see the full list, click here).
Nevertheless, as is clear from the initial roll-out of hotels on the new website, which can be seen here, no Asia-Pacific properties have signed up to the new deal, meaning that SPG points can not be earned – or burned in the region, under the new relationship.
As the website makes clear, it is only “a selection of Design Hotels” which " is now proudly joining forces with the Starwood Preferred Guest Program.”
For those that do, SPG Members will receive the following benefits:
- 2 Starpoints per eligible US dollar spent (with a 50% bonus for SPG Gold and Platinum members, and 100% bonus for Platinum members with a minimum of 75 Eligible Nights)
- Night and stay credit toward elite status
- On-property benefits of internet access and bottled water in room
- Gold Preferred and Platinum Preferred Members will automatically receive a Starpoints bonus as their Welcome Gift.
- Other on-property benefits such as upgrades, late checkout, Your24 or Suite Night Awards will not be available at participating hotels. Free Night redemption is expected to be available early 2016.
And the website warns.
Note: Design Hotels™ may not offer the same SPG benefits or brand service standards as other Starwood hotels.
Starwood Hotels commented: "We expect more and more member hotels of the Design Hotels portfolio to sign up over the next 12 months, with more than 40 projected to join by the beginning of next year".
It remains to be seen when – or if – Asia-Pacific Hotels will be among those joining the selection.