British Airways has announced details of what Bmi’s Diamond Club members will be offered within BA’s Executive Club programme, following the completion of IAG’s purchase of Bmi today (April 20).
Business Traveller has been sent the following, which will be emailed out to existing Diamond Club members today.
Among the key points are status match for existing Diamond Club members in BA’s Executive Club programme, 1:1 conversion of Diamond Club destination miles into Avios, and the continuation of earning and redemption rights within Star Alliance (except for Lufthansa Group carriers) until May 31.
From today Diamond Club members can also earn destination miles when travelling on either Bmi or British Airways flights.
Here is the communication if full (barring a few links that were not live when it was sent over, and the email header and footer):
Communication to Diamond Club Customers
I’m writing to advise you of some important changes to the Diamond Club programme following the sale of bmi to IAG, the owner of British Airways, on 20 April 2012.
As a result, there are some key changes to your Diamond Club membership, which I would like to outline below, which also includes an invitation from British Airways.
- Announcement of bmi’s exit from Star Alliance
- A new partnership with British Airways
- Business as usual for Diamond Club
bmi’s exit from Star Alliance
I’d firstly like to advise that from 20 April bmi will no longer be a member of Star Alliance.
However, you will still be able to enjoy the following Star Alliance benefits associated with your membership tier level until 31 May 2012.
- You will continue to earn membership status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on bmi and Star Alliance carriers (excluding Lufthansa Group airlines) until 31 May 2012
- For all Star Alliance carriers you will also be able to take advantage of your bmi and Star Alliance status benefits, including lounge access, priority check-in and priority boarding until 31 May 2012
- From 1 June 2012 any benefits associated with your tier membership and the ability to earn status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on Star Alliance airlines will end
- Star Alliance award bookings made before 31 May 2012 will be honoured
For further information including changes to award bookings, retrospective claims and award flight bookings please visit flybmi.com.
A new partnership with British Airways
We’re pleased to announce that Diamond Club members will benefit from a new partnership with British Airways from 20 April 2012.
- All members will be able to earn destinations miles on BA, for flights taken from 20 April 2012, and we will shortly introduce the option to spend your destinations miles on BA award flights
- From today, Diamond Club Gold and Silver members will be able to access the British Airways lounges at London Heathrow and London Gatwick, when flying with bmi or British Airways – please present your Diamond Club Gold or Silver card on arrival to gain access
As part of the transition of bmi into British Airways, from 1 May 2012 British Airways is inviting you, as a Diamond Club member, to also join the Executive Club at your equivalent tier status level.
Diamond Club Gold customers will be invited to become Gold members of the Executive Club and Silver members to become Silver, which will be in addition to your Diamond Club membership.
You will also be able to transfer your destinations miles to Executive Club Avios points at a rate of 1:1. British Airways will also be offering Executive Club customers the ability to transfer from Executive Club Avios points into destinations miles at a rate of 1:1. For example 100 destinations miles could be transferred into 100 Avios points and vice versa.
We are creating an online tool that will allow Diamond Club and Executive Club customers to undertake transfers, which will be available from 3 July 2012. We will contact you nearer that date to explain how the tool will work and how to access it.
Business as usual for Diamond Club
Although today we are announcing a number of changes to the programme, we would like to assure you that it is business as usual for Diamond Club, including members who have a bmi Credit Card Account with MBNA.
We very much appreciate your loyalty to bmi and hope that you continue to enjoy the benefits of Diamond Club membership.
We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.