The independent hotel alliance has officially launched its GHA Discovery programme, offering members upgrades, late check outs, free internet access and “local experiences”.
GHA first unveiled plans for the scheme last year (see online news March 17, 2010), but has now published full details of the programme, which is free to join, and runs across a total of 12 brands and nearly 300 hotels.
There are three tiers to the scheme, with new members receiving Gold membership, rising to Platinum after completing ten nights, and Black after 30 nights.
Many of the membership benefits will be familiar to business travellers, such as free internet access, bottled water and daily newspapers, but GHA is attempting to differentiate its scheme by also offering more than 1,000 “local experiences” designed by hotel employees.
These vary according to the destination and membership level, but examples range from learning to play traditional Bodu Beru drums in the Maldives, all the way up to helicopter tours over the LA skyline or backstage access to the Central Moscow’s Circus.
A full list of the experiences is available on the alliance’s website at gha.com, while the other benefits of each membership level are listed below.
The 12 members of the Global Hotel Alliance are Anantara Hotels & Resorts, The Doyle Collection, First Hotels, Kempinski Hotels, The Leela Hotels, Palaces and Resorts, Marco Polo Hotels, Mirvac Hotels & Resorts, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Pan Pacific Hotels and Resorts, ParkroyaL Hotels & Resorts, Shaza Hotels and Tivoli Hotels & Resorts.
The alliance also partners with several airlines including British Airways, Emirates and Lufthansa, allowing guests to earn miles for their stays.
For more information visit gha.com.
Report by Mark Caswell
Membership levels and benefits:
GOLD (Upon Enrolment)
- Membership preference profile
- Choice of Gold Level Local Experience after first stay at a GHA hotel
- Choice of complimentary newspaper
- Complimentary Internet access
- Complimentary bottled water
PLATINUM (10 to 29 nights)
Gold Level privileges, plus:
- Choice of Platinum Level Local Experience
- Upgrade to next room category at check-in
- Late check-out until 3pm
- Guaranteed room availability 48-hours prior to arrival
- Local amenity
BLACK (30 or more nights)
Platinum Level privileges, plus:
- Choice of Black Level Local Experience
- Double upgrade at check-in
- Early check-in beginning at 9am and late check-out until 6pm
- Guaranteed room availability 24 hours prior to arrival
- Personal choice of local amenity
- A Local brand benefit (such as access to Executive Lounges, laundry service and more)