The carrier says it will recommence A380 operations this weekend, initially operating on the London-Sydney route only.
Qantas grounded its fleet of six A380s earlier this month, following an incident with one of its Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines. The carrier said that “The decision to restore A380 services follows an intensive Trent 900 engine inspection programme carried out in close consultation with Rolls-Royce and Airbus”.
The superjumbo will re-enter service on flight QF31 from Sydney to London (via Singapore) on Saturday November 27. The Australian airlines said that “As more A380s return to service, Qantas will assess when and how best to deploy them”.
It added that “In line with its conservative approach to operational safety, Qantas is voluntarily suspending A380 services on routes that regularly require use of maximum certified engine thrust and will do so until further operational experience is gained or possible additional changes are made to engines”.
However Qantas said that this was an “operational decision” rather than a manufacturer’s directive, and stressed that pilots would still have access to maximum certified thrust if they require it during flight.
Qantas is due to take delivery of two new A380s before the end of this year, followed by a further two in early 2011. The aircraft involved in the engine incident remains in Singapore “under official investigation by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau”.
For more information visit qantas.com.au.
Report by Mark Caswell