Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts has introduced major enhancements to its Golden Circle frequent guest programme, 13 years after it was launched.
Previously by invitation only, but with over 1.7 million members, the Golden Circle has been opened up to anyone over 18 years at no charge. In addition, a point system has been introduced, allowing points to be accumulated not only on qualifying stays, but also through dining in hotel outlets and use of the CHI spas.
“Recognition will still be the cornerstone of the programme,” Wee Kee Ng, director of corporate loyalty & partner marketing, Shangri-La International Hotel Management, told Business Traveller emphasising that “rewards are a just an added benefit of the Golden Circle.”
Introduced as a result of over three years of market research, Ng says that from initiatives such as the Golden Circle Summer Free Nights promotion (staying four nights to earn a free night on qualifying rates during the offer period) showed a demand for changes.
“The response was very positive,” Ng says. “There was over 60 per cent take up, and room redemption was popular for several of the chain’s resorts…. Members will value the recognition factor when they travel as business travellers, but they will value the points for their own use which they can redeem for stays and privileges to share with family and friends.”
Highlights of the revamped Golden Circle (GC) Programme:
• Membership is open to anyone over 18 years free or charge. Enrolment can be done online at goldencircle.shangri-la.com or any hotel front office.
• There are three new Golden Circle Membership tiers, with Gold as entry tier, Jade as middle tier and Diamond as the highest. (These take the place of the former categories, Classic, Executive and Elite.) As a members progress to the higher tier, they are recognised with exclusive personalised benefits and privileges delivered consistently at every Shangri-La hotel and resort property
• Gold privileges include welcome fresh fruit on arrival and priority check in with preregistration. Jade privileges include 25 per cent extra bonus GC Award Points plus three choices of welcome amenities, early check-in and late check-out, free buffet breakfast in the hotel café for themselves and a partner in the same room. Diamond privileges include all Jade benefits plus free access to the Horizon Club or Traders Club lounges, free pressing of a suit and free use of selected resort facilites (not available previously to Elite members), 50 per cent extra bonus GC Award Points. Diamond members will be invited to exclusive Members’ Only event such as golf tournaments, opera nights, musicals and journeys on the Eastern & Oriental Express.
• Members earn one GC Award Point for every US$1 (or equivalent in local currency) on all qualifying spending on room stays or as a non-staying guest when they dine or have a drink at any restaurant or bar, or have a treatment at CHI, The Spa.
• Qualifying room nights or qualifying stays are tier points that determine the tier of Golden Circle a member is in. The number of qualifying room nights and qualifying stays required to renew or upgrade to a Jade or Diamond tier are 50 room nights or 25 stays and 20 room nights or 10 stays in a calendar year respectively.
• Members can choose to earn either GC Award Points or Airline Miles on their qualifying stays. Shangri-La has teamed up with 30 carriers to enable members earn Airline Miles in the frequent flyer programme of their choice or convert GC Award Points to Airlines Mile.
• Members can earn points even if they are not a staying guest in the participating hotels. GC Award Points are earned through entertaining business associates or hosting family gatherings at participating F&B outlets.
• GC Award Points can be redeemed for free room nights, room upgrades, F&B vouchers or CHI, The Spa vouchers.
• Redemption award levels start from 500 GC Award Points for a US$50 F&B voucher, 800 GC Award Points for a room upgrade and 1,000 GC Award Points for a free room night stay. These points are valid for three years from the year of earning.
• Members can share redemption awards with up to five family members by creating a redemption group at goldencircle.shangri-la.com There is no fee to share these awards.
For more details, visit shangrila.com
Margie T Logarta