It’s back. Singapore Airlines (SIA) is once again offering good promotional rates on return business class fares out of London to Singapore and Australia.
Unlike SIA’s recent and short-lived business class sale (see online news March 30) this offer is not quite so generous.
But it’s not to be dismissed. That’s because its long validity means you can book by June 30 and depart right up until December 31. Crucially, unlike other airline offers, this promotion covers the peak Christmas period when so many travellers head for SE Asia and Downunder.
It means that a London Heathrow to Singapore business class return will cost £2,126 as against the normal price of £3,406. A return ticket from London to SIA’s Australian destinations (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane) costs £3,210 compared with £4,091 normally.
Passengers taking flights on the A380 and B777-300ER will have access to the latest business class products. These include wide seats (only four across: 1-2-1) and fully flat bed seating.
These prices refer to tickets booked online with singaporeair.com. Tickets sold by travel agents such as Trailfinders or Netflights will vary depending on that agent’s mark-up.
Strangely SIA is not promoting the offer to the public. We requested SIA in London to provide more information but the airline declined to return phone calls.
But we have ascertained that:
• The offer covers departures from both London and Manchester.
• It is valid for travel between Monday and Thursday inclusive
• Two free stopovers are allowed.
• There is a £300 cancellation fee if tickets are cancelled before departure.
• Passengers can use any flight operated by A380 or B777 craft. Passengers will also find some flights operated by B747s and A330s (which may not have the fully flat bed seating as found on the A380/B777-300ER) between Singapore and Australia.
• As with all promotions it is subject to change.
SIA fans elsewhere will find that the carrier is offering business class sales in selected other markets.
Two current offers:
• In Australia there are special SIA fares to the UK and mainland Europe. Depart by November 30 but book by April 17. Examples of return business class rates are: London AU$ 6,778, Paris AU$6,679, Frankfurt AU$ 6,582 and Rome AU$6,553.
• In Singapore itself there are cut-price SIA business class rates to cities within Asia and to Australia, the US and Europe. Examples include London S$6,188, Paris S$5,288, Frankfurt S$5,288, Los Angeles S$6,388, Sydney S$3,388, Jakarta S$988, Hong Kong S$1,488 and Beijing S$2,888. These rates equate to savings of up to 35 per cent. Book by May 31 with, in general, departures by June 30.
For more information go to singaporeair.com
Report by Alex McWhirter