Bmi and Virgin
have expanded their codeshare agreement to connect Bmi’s UK domestic and Middle
East networks with Virgin’s long-haul services.
It means that UK
regional passengers can purchase through-tickets from airports such as Aberdeen,
Belfast, Leeds Bradford and Manchester, connecting in London on to Virgin’s long-haul
The codeshare has
also been extended to connect selected Virgin North American destinations with Bmi’s
routes to Amman, Beirut, Tel Aviv and Tehran.
codeshare comes into immediate effect, and will enable through-ticketing and
baggage-checking on these routes. But passengers should be aware that they won’t
be available on Virgin’s website till February 4 – until then they can be
bought via the carriers’ reservation centres, travel agents and independent websites
such as Orbitz (US customers only).
late last year that it was in talks with Lufthansa over the future of Bmi,
with the German airline due to complete its purchase of Sir Michael Bishop’s
holding in Bmi any day now (see online news October 29, 2008).
Report by Mark
The full list of extended codeshare destinations is as follows:
- Virgin’s long-haul destinations to /from Aberdeen, Belfast, Durham Tees Valley, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford and Manchester
- New York JFK to / from Amman, Beirut, Tel Aviv and Tehran
- Newark to / from Amman, Beirut and Tel Aviv
- Boston to / from Amman and Beirut
- Los Angeles to/from Tehran