Zurich to Miami via Dusseldorf with Air Berlin?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

Rather than fly direct with LX as I normally do, business class is more than double the fare I found with Air Berlin via DUS.

Good idea? Bad idea? Never flown AB internationally and don t feel good about “cheating” on my beloved Swiss…..but the difference in the fare is substantial.
    -Rave

SwissExPat
    Participant

The fares ex ZRH with Swiss are generally a rip off (in the same way ex London departures with BA are) so good on you….

If going east, I have often taken the train to Lugano and been picked up there by an Emirates car and depart to Asia via DXB from MXP….. Have saves thousands of Euro doing this for years.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

I don’t believe for a moment that Air Berlin’s service levels will compare with Swiss but, price-wise, it’s no contest!

American Airlines have some cracking fares out of Heathow at the moment so, adding a separate ZRH-LHR-ZRH ticket, you can get a flexible/refundable LHR-MIA-LHR Business Class fare with AA for less than £3k inc.taxes.

HaggisCH
    Participant

Not too sure if the offer is still available, but Air Berlin’s Top Bonus FFP was offering a status match. Would be worth applying if you decise on the AB option.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I know how you feel Rave. I’m often faced with this dilemma with Swiss and despite the fare difference I was uber loyal for many years. However, I’ve seen that most airlines are loyal to you when all is fine, when it goes wrong is the test and Swiss like all the others do make mistakes and I’m afraid, and maybe it’s down to the personnel on the day, they don’t always show loyalty back.

Consequently I’m now more loyal to my own pocket that to filling the coffers of an airline and when faced with that fare differential my pocket wins every-time nowadays!

I can’t say what AB is like as I’ve never flown them, but if you are Zurich (or nearby) based then SwissExPat makes a very good point. Equally, you can also fly Swiss out of Milan via Zurich and make very good savings – it’s worth looking at but you’ll have to get to MXP. Train to Lugano then the airport bus from the station, or a taxi at about CHF 180.

Finally, if you book out of Lugano, you’ll often find the fare is much cheaper as they discount it due to the nearby competition of MXP.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

LP, thanks for the tip. Basel-Lugano is a bit of a haul and not really feasible mid-week with my schedule. However, I will look into that in the future and could always add on a day or 2 in Milan or Ticino…which is not a bad thing 🙂

Oh, I finally decided to try AB this time.

Cheers, Rave

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It is a bit of a pain from Basel especially since the route is no longer flown by anyone. From Basel SBB you’d need to add 6 hours to your schedule.

Enjoy the trip and let us know how AB is. I’m curious.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It is a bit of a pain from Basel especially since the route is no longer flown by anyone. From Basel SBB you’d need to add 6 hours to your schedule.

Enjoy the trip and let us know how AB is. I’m curious.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

So Air Berlin ZRH-DUS-MIA and back quick thoughts:

– Flew stretch ZRH-DUS Eco; no special comments for quick hop
    – Lounge in DUS horrible, sort of like those weak business class lounges ones finds in the States
    – DUS-MIA in an old A330. They have “pods” in a 1-2-1 formation but the window seats overlap each other so although you have aisle access, you are not necessarily next to the window
    – Seat reclined almost fully flat but 2 problems => 1) extremely narrow; felt almost 1/2 as wide as SQ & 2) not long enough but that is maybe my problem since I m about 6 foot 2 or so
    – Food was edible but nothing special; wince selection also basic
    – IFE also not the best, and even did not work properly on the return trip but i did not care as I had raved the night before and was trying to sleep
    – Service ok but everyone seemed over-friendly and were entirely disappointed when I refused some food and/or drinks

Summary: fairly “meh” experience. If the price difference is not too extreme, I would fly direct with LX every time…..

-Rave

Charles-P
    Participant

“i did not care as I had raved the night before “

Not a statement one sees very often here. I’m not sure I have ever “raved” 🙂

O to be young again ……

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ RaveAroundTheWorld – 08/09/2015 10:26 BST

Why not try out ITA matrix in future to price up various options using other carriers “fly through our hub” pricing schema? It most certainly is not just BA doing this with LHR.

Happy raving and roaming.

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

@Anthnydunn +1

Just did a search with random dates and Milan to Miami return with BA or AA worked out at £1.6k return whereas from Zurich to Miami it priced out at £2k return (both trips of 7 days). Matrix is definitely your friend.
    Matrix.itasoftware.com
    C

LuganoPirate
    Participant

From where Rave is it’s a bit problematic and time consuming getting to Milan to take advantage of those fares.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Rave, sounds ok and at least the crew were friendly. I’m not sure I’ll try them but I might give Emirates a try to NY in November ex Milan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls