You wouldn't do this at home, so why here?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Yes, you two ladies in the First lounge at T5 on 5 June, with your toddler in a high chair.

You left the seats unusable for anyone else until the staff had come and done a comprehensive clean-up. Napkins and stuff strewn everywhere, and thrown under the seat, and the floor covered with the food your little angel had chucked about. None of which you made the slightest attempt to sort before you left.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I understand how you feel. For what it’s worth I have often been with children who made a mess in public places and I have completely cleaned it up myself before leaving the area. I think it’s only right.

Switzerlanding
    Participant

We travel with our little one through the BA first lounge in LHR a lot and are amazed how other parents don’t care what sort of mess they leave. We do clean any mess the little un manages to create.

The worst experience has to be in the Sofitel at T5 in one of the restaurants when 2 toddlers left what looked like a scence from Aleppo, it seems that many feel if they’re paying for something it’s an entiletment to do what they want.

norbert2008
    Participant

Oddly Indian couple changed a baby in the Wing HKK on the sofa. Called staff to tell them were chaining areas for this!

capetonianm
    Participant

You wouldn’t do this at home…….

Having had the misfortune to see the state of some people’s homes, I am inclined to disagree, although you’d think that someone who travels in F would behave better.

canucklad
    Participant

On Norberts2008’s point, It does aromatically stun me, when parents assume it’s an infringement on their human rights when challenged on their choice of location to change their pride and joy.

Never mind lounges, I’ve had to put up with the stench of infant pong on adjoining aircraft seats, train tables and a not so discreet corner of a fast food outlet ……….. When a member of staff pointed out alternatives, the invariable reply has always been ………..

“It’s only a baby”

So to any young parents out there, reading this ………..
    You nose might be immune to your little bundle of joys nappy fragrance, but to the rest of us…be assured……. Your baby’s nappy pong reeks of a stench that can’t be covered up by a sprinkling of talc!!

handbag
    Participant

I am astounded at the state that so many parents of young children leave the seat at the end of a flight, crayons, biscuits and soft foods smeared on floor and seats. We all understand that young children make a mess, but it is blatantly obvious that this is a total lack of respect for others property. On my last flight, just happened to notice chocolate all over a seat and organised a seat cover change before next flight. Had I not seen it and the cleaners had just tidied the seat with a blanket and pillow, then some poor sole would have been on that seat. If a child makes a mess, either they should clean up or apologise and let someone know it needs dealing with.

I know some live in a mess, but I cant believe that all those that cause such a mess also trample biscuits and food into their carpets and furniture at home.

Lost count of times , asked pax to use changing table in toilet and they have not been happy with me, or when they try to hand me their used nappy to put in the Galley (kitchen) bin) and I ask them to put in the toilet and again not happy.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=869554]chaining areas[/quote]

Absolutely the best and most appropriate typo ever.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=869555]

You wouldn’t do this at home…….

Having had the misfortune to see the state of some people’s homes, I am inclined to disagree, although you’d think that someone who travels in F would behave better.[/quote]

Unfortunately Capetonian, travelling in First is no longer a guarantee of polite behavior. While I have for the most psrt been fortunate, I have on occasions witnessed appalling behavior, from rudeness to crew and other passengers to a total disregard of any etiquette towards others by being loud, playing music through speakers so the whole cabin could hear it and dropping read papers and litter in the passageway.

Most noteworthy however, was the German passenger who stripped down naked before getting into bed!!! Not sure if that counts as bad or bold behavior though?

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=869595]travelling in First[/quote]

This was the First & Gold lounge, mind you, so even rabble like me are allowed in.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=869598]

travelling in First

This was the First & Gold lounge, mind you, so even rabble like me are allowed in.[/quote]

Ha ha. I’m sure you’re not “rabble” though ToH2.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

perhaps the little treasures and their irresponsible parents should travel in the hold (must in super luxury down there, based on the cost of transporting our puss from Singapore to Blighty a couple of years back)….. these people behave like this everywhere

also, the poor behaviour is not restricted to sprogs and their over-entitled parents (once sat next to an older chinese gent who spat on the floor as if it were the pavement in Honkers (my shoes were kept firmly on) or the older couple that tried to steal the crockery and then the ice cream (this amused me))

Globetrotter
    Participant

Respect & consideration for others seems to be an increasingly rare commodity nowadays…

I’m reminded of an early morning departure from Auckland in January this year…in the relatively new and shared lounge (you can also pay for access), a (British) couple in perhaps their thirties were indulging enthusiastically in the ‘complimentary’ prosecco (no problem with that, we’ve probably all done it…), and yelling into their speaker phone and thus sharing all the details of their trip with the entire lounge….and for a considerable length of time (i was embarrassed to be from the same country).

And then there’s the group of young gents that pitched up at the poolside in Dubai with their ‘young ladies’ in tow last autumn – and asked the bar staff to provide an ice bucket and glasses for their duty free champagne….after much arguing, they finally got the message from the Hotel Manager that they could not consume this at the poolside…. they skulked off only to return a short while later with a mini-speaker and then share their music with all around – granted when I asked them to switch it off, they did – but I was subsequently abused by said young ‘ladies’…..and this was at a very high end hotel! And don’t start me on the cigar smoker on the lounger next to me who continually exhaled his smoke in my direction….

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

As I regularly act as the local litter picker and de facto street cleaner in my vicinity, I am no longer surprised by the brute ignorance, selfishness, idleness and the complete lack of consideration for others demonstrated by a not insubstantial minority of the population. Class and income appear not to make too much of a difference.

As I am not about to have anyone ever think that I am responsible for the mess I find in some loos onboard, I always leave the place spick and span – regardless. It must be something to do with only getting pocket money when young by cleaning either upstairs or downstairs on alternate weeks – as my mother went out to work.

BPP
    Participant

This reminds me of a topic last year on wiping the tray table down. Everybody should make a habit carrying a wet-wipe to clean the ‘furniture’ before sitting down. Any doubt about the seat cover itself then use the blanket to sit on and ask for a second. Remember it’s what you can’t see that will often be a problem.
    BPP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls