Wow factorCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Wow factor

This topic contains 46 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  judynagy 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

In a discussion regarding BA (yes, yes, there is one about BA in this forum!), someone mentioned there is no wow factor on BA CW but at least the service is constant. That made me wonder. When for the last time an airline did “wow” me? Well, I don’t really know. Do frequent travellers still feel a lot of wows? Not sure. Do you?

Senator
    Participant

I’ve had the “wow factor” the following times:
    1. Using the onboard Internet on SAS between ARN-ORD sitting chatting on IM while looking down on the Greenland icesheets back in 2005. The Connexion by Boeing service was pulled, but SAS kept kit onboard and is re-launching service with a different provider
    2. First time in long-haul business class
    3. First time in LH First class on MUC-SFO as lone pax
    4. Flying across the Atlantic in an A318 from LCY to JFK
    5. LH Senator line being very proactive during the US East Coast snowstorms finding my brother/girl-friend options

Potakas
    Participant

“wow” factor for me,

1.LH First Class lounge at FRA.

2.My first First BA

3. My first 62K on the Upper Deck (was the biggest “wow” for me)

4. My first NF 😉

I was expecting a “wow” factor and didn’t get it at the Concorde Room,

Bullfrog
    Participant

WOW for me

1. Pan Am First Class having roast beef carved next to me on a trolley.
    2. BA 001 supersonic to JFK.
    3. Air New Zealand First Class (now obsolete) with food as good as any restaurant & 100 % coverage of every dish for each of the possible 12 passengers.
    4. Cathay First Class on board service & lounges at HKG.

Binman62
    Participant

Wow for me

Concorde

First Class on BA in error ( upgrade from M back in 1985) and the roast being carved …….wow wow wow.

Air New Zealand First Class…..was superb…sheep skin seat covers and head crew in pink Jackets…wow.

BA individual video units in the early 1990’s

Flat Beds

RogerVictor
    Participant

Arriving at New York before you left on the BA001 – THE sexiest flight number ever

The ‘new’ BA001 is pretty special – Boarding at JFK when there are, at most, 32 of you and the terminal is heaving – pretty special

More to the point, when you fly so much you take this for granted, ANY take off. You’re flying. It’s WOW in itself – never forget that.

MartynSinclair

1. flying for 12 hours in pitch black over the ocean, decending through thick cloud / fog and only seeing the approach lights at 200 feet – thats not only WOW, but sheer bloody luck (only kidding)

2. Concorde was sheer wow

3. Finding my self next to a pleasant and interesting neighbour for 12 hours (Dudley Moore was my favourite)

4. Bags in the arrivals hall waiting for me.

5. Being the first passenger in 1A or 60B on a newly delivered -400

6. A pleasant Homeland security officer and/or TSA security checker

NTarrant
    Participant

1. Has to be Concorde as number one.

2. Being upgraded the first time

3. Steak pie in Air New Zealand economy

4. A380 first time

And agree with RogerVictor any take off is a wow.

VectorOne
    Participant

EK First to Syd…waking after a 6 hour sleep…having a refreshing shower…magnificent breakfast….through immigration, baggage and customs in approx 15 minutes…EK driver waiting…in my suite in Four Seasons within an hour of landing…all for the cost of Stg3,500 return…amazing and definite wow!

Tim2sms
    Participant

1. Every Silverjet flight I ever took.
    2. Upgrade to BA New First (1K) and resulting flight LHR – LAX.
    3. Sitting up front in a Skybird 747 landing into LHR (before 9/11)
    4. My wife being invited up front on a flight LHR-DXB by the Captain to help her calm her nerves. She ‘flew’ the plane. (before 9/11)
    5. VAA SFO lounge (the views)
    6. Thai airlines LHR – SYD in J.
    7. Bottle of scotch given to every passenger for the first flight for Air UK EDI – LHR.

PaulJennings
    Participant

I think the Concorde Room in T5, including the ‘outside’ deck, has wow factor.

The A380 has wow factor, in a massive-biggest-thing-in-the sky-way but also inside, with its more space, bigger windows, higher pressure and so on. It helps of course if you are travelling in some comfort – Singapore’s business class cabin hits the spot.

Agree with Roger Victor – just taking off has a wow factor, for this reason I miss BA’s 757s which could take off like a rocket.

Private cars between the aircraft and the terminal – does make you feel like a VIP and it is a great start to a flight.

———-

Flying across the channel back into Southampton on an ageing ATR72, at night, in high winds and thunder and lightning. Wow as in wow I’m glad we’ve stopped now can I get off?

BlackTower
    Participant

1) Abortive take off CO at la Guardia. I’m alive, Ice cool vietnam vet pilot.
    2) Tioman Island airport mid 1990s; grass hut etc
    3) 717 landing over my head at Ko Samui; whisper quiet
    4) Old NCW flat bad; it was flat then remember!
    5) BA001 taking off over my school for many years; never was a passenger 🙁

Bullfrog
    Participant

Adding to my previous points,

1. I’d agree that being allowed in the cockpit prior to 9/11 was great for take of & landing which I managed numerous times.

2. Arriving by plane at St Barthelemy is breathtakingly … ‘scary’ ! & subsequently watching the props approach & touch down is also a WOW.

3. In the early 90s I was travelling on an air miles Club World ticket, and one of the sectors was SFO – LHR. This was before I ever considered paying to fly First, and I was upgraded at the gate to First, even though I was on a ‘free ticket’. That initial experience in First was a WOW.

Stowage222
    Participant

For me Crossair flight (early 1990’s) through (not above!) the Swiss alps sipping champagne. Blue skies and snow on the mountains above – wow!

……and Concorde GLA/LHR on launch day of super shuttle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.