Would you be happy with just One pilot? Its the future..

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

Very interesting article Mr M!

No shower, or toilet though, or on board bar or meal service!

On recent Air France flights also, it was pretty clear that there were “Security personnel” even on a Budapest flight i took the week after the terrible Paris Terrorist attacks. Very well built, two men boarded before passengers then came back and mingled looking carefully at everyone. They carried a small Metal Case on Board labelled “Cockpit” in red, only and had no boarding passes and travelled on the aircraft through to CDG spaced apart but having access to the crew and cockpit through the flight.

However much technology is added to planes, that are now carrying 400-500+ Travellers, more than at any other time in Aviation history, there should i feel be 2at least in the cockpit. If one had any medical problem or any reason was unable to function, when an event confronted them, then there should always be two, with one senior.
    I think the Airlines can afford this with the increased numbers of travellers on one aircraft, and the longer non stop distances that we travel now.

If Terrorist events keep happening in certain countries as France and the UK, then I am sure we shall also see the return of armed Security Personnel on board, as i observed and AF are carrying out currently.
    Another sad feature of how our travel is affected in current times.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

When all is said and done at some point albeit someway in the future the maths will be done to determine if the costs of settling a law suit, in the event of a crash, are less than the incremental costs of two or more flight deck personnel, in which case one pilot (or less!) will stay. We have already seen that calculation manifest itself with the USA car industry with exploding fuel tanks notably GM when cars were rear ended caught fire and people died. The cost of redesigning was deemed greater than the payouts. I can’t see if that has changed but I stand to be corrected on this.

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls