Would you be happy with just One pilot? Its the future..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1 – 31/12/2015 17:27 GMT

Automation is driven by cost, trust me.

SimonS1
    Participant

It also usually involves significant investment. Efficiency savings, yes, cost reduction, not always.

Besides I haven’t seen any comments from the airlines yet on this.

SimonS1
    Participant

I wouldn’t take anything O’Leary says as being representative of the industry.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m going to be a bit controversial here, and pick up on the human error point.

There is overwhelming evidence to show that accident investigators are pressured into seeking a ” pilot error’ factor . This is particularly true if the aircraft involved happens to be French made.

Only after the NTSB investigated an AA ATR crash did European authorities retrospectively remove blame from the pilots after it was discovered that a known originally denied flaw in the wing design was the real cause.

And remember, aircraft are unlike any other method of transportation, excepting perhaps for marine vessels. When dealing with mother nature you really should have people who can feel the riding of the storm.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1 – 02/01/2016 09:11 GMT

Why not? O’Leary is the CEO of the largest airline in Europe.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

canucklad – 02/01/2016 09:41 GMT

Agree 100%

With most modes of transport, you can stop pretty much immediately and investigate a problem.

Not so with an aircraft.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This thread started by asking the question about aircraft with just one pilot but seems to have evolved into a discussion about ground based pilots working with a singular cockpit based pilot.

Perhaps this arrangement could avoid future ‘9/11’ or German Wings / LH…. but what a ground based pilot certainly could not have solved.. would have been BA 38…

The interesting one though would be the Hudson river landing… could a ground based remote pilot have assisted a singular cockpit based pilot. I think the answer is certainly yes.

PS…Thanks Tom..correction made

SimonS1
    Participant

FDOS – because 6 years ago most people considered him a comedian who would say anything to get PR. Like his ‘pay to use’ toilets and standing up flights.

canucklad
    Participant

The other major consideration is the very real threat to the aircraft itself by cyber terrorism.
    Just listening to the news today, and it’s clearly becoming a real danger to our daily lifes .
    Hijacking just one aircraft from the ground with no real idea of the whereabouts of the perpetrators would surely put an end to the project.

TominScotland
    Participant

Martyn

I think you are unfair to Air Berlin here. I suspect you intended to say Germanwings/ Lufthansa

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1 – 02/01/2016 12:16 GMT

A comedian? Presieded over yearly profitable growth since 1992.

Yeah, right.

MarcusGB
    Participant

On an Etihad flight recently, the Captain announced “We always have two Pilots at least in the cockpit now, this is Etihad policy, so please be assured of this. “Often there are 4-5 on the AUH-SYD route of around 15 hrs, for the A380. KLM also have this adopted as a Policy now also, with 3-4 on long haul.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

MarcusGB, interesting that the captain made a point of using the word ‘assured’. On every ultra long haul CX flight I have flown every captain comments on the extra flight deck crew and most name them and their rank i.e. another captain and/or senior first officer and/or second officer. From my pilot family members certainly additional crew have always been on the flight deck for flights over a certain duration. Now of course since the GermanWings (name to be phased out) tragedy no one member of the flight crew can be on the flight deck on their own

MrMichael
    Participant

Seems the passenger carrying drone is with us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35250333

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls