Would or should you avoid airlines that are still overflying Russia?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• frustratedflyer
    Participant

With sanctions and bans many airlines are unable to fly over Russia leading to additonal costs and flying times. These include the obvious ones like BA, the Asian countries that have supported Ukraine like Singapore and Japan. You could argue they deserve our support for their support of Ukraine.

So what should we do with the others some of which you could say have an unfair advantage due to shorter routes? They include:

Those that do fly over Russia include airlines like Air India into LHR from some destinations. Who else?

There are also the ME carriers like Qatar postitioning themselves as the carrier of last resort in the same way they did during COVID.

What are you going to do?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1206852]Those that do fly over Russia include airlines like Air India into LHR from some destinations. Who else?[/quote]

In the piece we published last week (it listed those European airlines along with JAL) I did refer to airlines of mainland China. Their flights to Europe overflying Russia were tracked by Flightradar24.

As this Forum has an international readership I ought to point out that, besides Europe, the Air India flights to North America also use Russian airspace.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Personally I see no reason to totally avoid any airline that I would normally use that flies over Russia. I only use major airlines that I trust and that works for me. To become involved further would require avoidance of many of the worlds respected (by many) major airlines Turkish JAL, Air China Air India Emirates Ethiopian Korean…..these are just the airlines in Russian airspace at 7am Hong Kong time
    today there are many more.
    At the moment I would not by choice over-fly Russia if it were convenient not to do so but this only to avoid any accidental incident.

stevescoots
    Participant

i dont have an issue overflying Russia, but not any that flies anywhere near Ukraine for obvious reasons

Sam
    Participant

I don’t see any reason to avoid any airline using Russian airspace or even still travelling to Russia. Let’s keep politics out of avaiation.

TominScotland
    Participant

I am sorry, Sam, that is a hugely naive position to take. Aviation (as with all forms of business) has always been highly political. Flying to Russia or overflying the country both make a direct financial contribution to their war effort in the Ukraine – as do all our purchases from other countries with nasty and repressive regimes.

8 users thanked author for this post.

CrazyCanuck
    Participant

Morning,

An interesting debate. There is no technical issue in using Russian airspace, lets be honest. The challenge is either moral (personal choice) or political (imposed by 3rd party). To say you are contributing to world peace or against is an emotive debate. Sitting here in Africa, the war in Ukraine is a side note to everyday issues. The West plus other Asian nations are actively supporting Ukraine and one area of support is Aviation. If the rest of the world is still using Russian airspace, do we ban them as well?

Sam
    Participant

TominScotland, what’s naive or maybe even outrageous is the double standard sympathy some bleeding hearts nations are having for Ukraine and not for other long-suffering peoples (Palestinians, Rohingya, Ughurs to name a few). I agree with CrazyCanuck that the moral challenge is a personal choice based on one’s convictions. I definitely do not condone what Russia is doing in Ukraine but I find your selective outrage a bit hypocritical.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1206872]To become involved further would require avoidance of many of the worlds respected (by many) major airlines Turkish JAL, Air China Air India Emirates Ethiopian Korean…..these are just the airlines in Russian airspace at 7am Hong Kong time
    today there are many more.[/quote]

Is all of this info correct as regards overflying ?

I ask because in my report of last week JAL is routing Tokyo-London via Alaska.

How airlines are avoiding Russian airspace

And since I wrote the above local media says KAL is not overflying Russia.

How airlines are avoiding Russian airspace

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Inquisitive
    Participant

In my opinion, even if countries have so-called air space, but at 30000 feet, the air space shall be considered international without any flying restrictions.
    No one complaining about hundreds of satellites by a few countries above other countries!

And on the sanction: European countries are still happily taking Russian gas and oil and enjoying the warmth at their office and home; but complaining about poor developing countries buying cheap oil from Russia. That is hypocrisy.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed Inquisitve.

As I have explained many times both here and in the magazine Russia and China never signed the 1944 ICAO Convention.

The latter determined the Freedoms of the Air.

That is why both can pick and choose which airlines can overfly and can levy hefty fees.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1206893]

Not my quote πŸ™‚

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls