Worst Major Airport in Europe?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Airpocket. No, I still use VIE and would never advise anyone to avoid it. It just takes a bit of getting used to (especially when departing). I think it’s on my list of the worst 5 because it’s such a wasted opportunity – massive investment (including a new pier which is just open or about to be and good transport links to the city) and yet they get the absolute basics wrong. Bit like TK, eh?

No dear boy, don’t avoid VIE, just give yourself a bit more time to orientate yourself around the place. I’d be very interested to hear your views when you return (unless you’re flying TK, in which case “IF you return”).

fatbear
    Participant

I agree that CDG is the worst. That said, flying from Terminals 2E or 2F is not too bad. I also agree that LHR has significantly improved since T5 opened, although I have not travelled from T4 for a long while. Athens is a pretty reasonable airport and as I travel regularly to Brussels I may be immune to its weaknesses but I think it is pretty reasonable apart from the long walk from the Schengen area to the airport exit. In my experience of 250+ flights, the time to get through security is no worst than any UK airport I’ve been through

Other airports on my worst list include Madrid and Warsaw. I’m not too fond of Zurich either. Prague is high on the best list apart from the ridiculous prices for food and drink

My wife has a different criteria for ranking airports. As she smokes she marks down airports where smoking is now completely banned inside the terminals. Amsterdam used to be her favourite airport, but not anymore and we now no longer intransit through Schiphol for long haul journeys….

MarcusUK
    Participant

Did you know KLM has a smoking room still in its Crown lounges both Intercontinental (A palace this is since being refurbed), & the Europe lounge?

I noticed even after it was renovated, as at 11.50am they make an announcement that ” under Dutch law, the smoking room must be cleaned between 12-12.30pm each day. therefore it will be closed to complete this”!

Perhaps they can have this as a private club area on Company premises, they can decide to allow but must comply with the choices for others, as well as cleaning schedules.

I am not a smoker, but i do agree they should retain some provision. Our “PCness” overboard again
    So if you do fly KLM or Schipol transit, & many staff smoke just at the entrance or on the viewing gallery above the airport), then you still have an option.

MarcusUK
    Participant

T4 in all fairness, has been much improved since this thread started.
    The entrance is no longer congested, open with glass frontage & spacious & tall inside, lots of natural air & light, reminds of feastures of STN.
    I sat in having breakfast at 7am with a business colleague prior to leaving to Asia with KLM this week, & the sun shone into the terminal, higher quality more Continental bistro type cafes landside, no run down Boots anymore! It was very pleasant & relaxed.

Skyteam of course now have this terminal, as well as other Airlines choosing to be a part of it, Etihad, Kingfisher, Malaysian etc.
    It is a calm quiet area, be extensive queues as when BA were there, & the premium section of check in is retro & stylish.
    The Yotel is great to stay in one floor above, to sleep for an early flight without the stress of getting to LHR also in any LHR lounge. Contemporary design, healthy meals, breakfast options & fresh juices, the presentation & environment is excellent.
    Their Skyteam lounge provides the most extensive food & drink options at any LHR lounge.

The other floors are not done yet but the departures area is great, so in all fairness thanks BAA & especially thanks to Skyteam for running & designing a great Operation for Skyteam flights & other prominent Airlines.

Security is quicker, but staff remain lazy & rude in my view. That’s about the people you employ & the supervision of them.
    I would far prefer the military or proper security services maintaining an airport security, as in other Airports around the world, than the current method.

However an improvement BAA & Skyteam have done a great job, creating a great successful contemporary Hub of all their airlines & partners, in one great terminal. Other groups seem in Limbo there though check in & the entrance of T3 is now more improved at least t the entrance.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Interesting comment, Marcus, and I’d agree with a lot of what you say.

Since posting my list of “best’ and “worst” last year, I’d now put IST firmly into my worst list (I REALLY hate that place with a vengence), and reinforce BRUS and FRA as deserving of being considered amongst the worst.

In terms of the good ones, I’d probably keep it as it was, but BHX would now be knocking at the door (except it’s not really “major”) – the new international pier goes along with all I said about light and space. It has a high ceiling with lots of glass, and one can immediately tell that it’s not a BAA pier simply by its design.

Hess, my friend – have you revised your “worst” and “best” list in the last few months?

Regards, Simon

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

I’m surprised that Gatwick has got off lightly so far. Agree with the comments about CDG etc but LGW, especially the south terminal and in turn that absolutely hellish pier 1, is nothing but a national if not European embarrassment. I’m surprised it even meets current health and safety standards for overcrowding, it’s more like the tube or Victoria station in the morning and evening peaks. Photographic reconciliation on arrival from a domestic flight is the ultimate affront and time-consuming waste. They say it’s required by the UK government – so why isn’t it required at other UK airports where you often if not always disembark into an airside departure area, and one with both domestic and international departures?

In a recent article in either Airliner World or its sister Airports of the World on LGW, the MD (can’t remember if it was before the sale) admitted that the south terminal was congested and in need of development. The main pier 2 is actually not too bad, just too long and no facilities at the gates. Just age – CDG T1 is the same.

For those of you who don’t like LHR T5, book a domestic flight on BE or EZY to LGW south. You’ll need to spend plenty on alcohol during the flight to cushion the blow.

2nd worst – MAN T3 – why don’t they just revert it to being part of T1 and share the newly developed security & airside areas. Stretching the English a bit surely to define part of the same building as a separate terminal. Ok BHX and GLA do the same.

3rd = worst – all holiday airports in Europe for ridiculously long check-in queues. Not really relevant to this forum but too good an opportunity to miss!

SimpleDXB
    Participant

CDG and AMS the worst. CDG epitomises the worst of French efficiency, design, culture and service, and AMS is the most overrated airport in the developed world… Terrible bussed connections and 500 mile walks between gates etc etc and ridiculous security and pport clearance procedures (and no fast track).

For once, I have to agree with VK on this – I actually rate LHR as an airport, save and to the extent there is a 1hr holding pattern upon arrival…

CharlieBrown
    Participant

I think your experience in LGW can be very different depending on what terminal you travel through. I’m always at North Terminal where I generally find security staff to be good humoured and helpful, although like anything it depends upon the individual. BA staff have always been extremely helpful in my experience at LGW North, always a pleasure. The range of shops and food outlets is pretty good and it’s not too crowded (certainly compared to LGW South which could succeed in making the Brady Bunch grumpy). Staff at Jersey Airport are very helpful and pleasant whilst the recent redevelopment air-side has made eating and shopping a better experience. Edinburgh security gets top marks from me – they master some sort of magic unlike anywhere. Worst airport in Europe for me (or if I could be cheeky and specify terminal) would be LHR T1.

wanula1
    Participant

Having been on transit through FRA a number of times I would have to rate this as one of the worst major airports in Europe, especially when transiting to or from the UK. On my last transit to a Dresden flight from LHR we went through 2 security check points and ended up after a 30 min walk being bused back to the same stand that we come from.

I also agree that AMS is overrated as an airport, although their Previum fast track security service is one of the better ones in Europe.

RoadKing
    Participant

My worst five:
    1. CDG, only the French can build a piece of junk and declare it an airport.
    2. FRA, when MUC were opened, I thought Lufthansa would shut down this disaster, unfortunately not.
    3. BCN, the old terminal in Barcelona. The stereotype of how crazy it can be in the mediterranian countries.
    4. ROM, chaos.
    5. AMS, When I fly, I want to fly. If I would exercise I would do that elsewhere, besides, if you are unlucky, your plane will spend an eternity taxing through half of Holland before you get to the gate.

Actually would have CPH as a good candidate for the 5th place as well.

My favourite 5:
    1. MUC, smooth, efficient, short distances, good looks. An airport the way an airport should be.
    2. OSL, ok I am biased, but it is efficient.
    3. LHR T5, I realize this is about outside of UK, but I really like it.
    4. ARN, suffers a little bit of the distances as in AMS, but not quite.
    5. HEL, smooth and efficient.

Potakas
    Participant

This is a last year’s article about the worst airports worldwide
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/travel-news/worlds-most-annoying-airport-20090218-8b7p.html

Heathrow has been voted the worst international airport for passport queues and baggage problems, a survey of air travellers said .

New York’s JFK and Los Angeles International airports were ranked second and third worst in the survey by online travel and social network WAYN.com (Where Are You Now?).

The survey asked 2250 passengers about passport control, baggage handling, customs and security at major international airports.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls