Working in lounges and hotels

Back to Forum

This topic contains 36 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  GivingupBA 16 Oct 2017
at 05:15

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

Starbucks makes a very good office for me, excellent coffee, fast Wifi, a quiet table in the corner. The great thing is, wherever I am I can usually find a Starbucks to go to. Admittedly, I use an iPad for work making it relatively easy, and I don’t do phone calls.

stevescoots
    Participant

unfortunatly the coffee sucks tho 🙂

A hotel room without a desk is an absolute no-no for me, unpacking the laptop, plugging the phone in on charge and connecting to Wi-Fi are the first 3 things on my OCD list when getting in the room, even if I have nothing urgent to do, it’s force of habit

DavidFitz
    Participant

Interesting that others feel the same regarding lounges, and I agree totally,
    Working on the go is proving an issue in hotel bedrooms, using late check outs, however I do hire day offices in some places, which is expensive, and often not flexible with the hours I need to use office space.
    Could anyone recommend hotels that do day rates, because this would be a better option for me, and hopefully still cheaper than hire a day office, who aren’t always in the areas that I work in. I noticed that a number of places I work, have premier inn, which are cheap, rooms have internet and a desk, but premier inn don’t seem to offer cheap day rates for bedrooms, anybody got other suggestions?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If I need an office or “professional working space” on the move..

1. Institute of Directors

2. Regus Gold card

The above 2 have arrangements with “clubs” office space around the world..

Status with hotel groups (SPG and lhw in my case) has allowed me to use exec lounges at some hotels when I am not even checked in… but certainly allows late check outs.. to allow a decent working environment on day of departure….

Globalti
    Participant

I stay in a superb guest house in Harare and after my first visit I mentioned in an otherwise positive Tripadvisor review, the comfy chair at the desk, completely useless for working. On my next visit they had placed a chair from their office in the room, a mark of their excellence as management but I do feel a tiny bit guilty about having mentioned it in the review.

GivingupBA
    Participant

DavidFitz, you asked “Could anyone recommend hotels that do day rates…….”

Sofitel do [not cheap of course, but excellent facilities].

DavidGordon10
    Participant

stevescoots – +1 on the Starbucks coffee.

Following the original post, my transit was at CDG where the excellent Air France lounge provided everything I needed – so much so that I nearly missed the flight. Incidentally, the table at my seat in AF business was also excellent for work.

StewartK
    Participant

I’ve stayed in eight different Marriotts (including JW and Renaissance) in the last six weeks and all have had desks – does this ‘news item’ refer perhaps to some of the newer brands?

ZKSmith
    Participant

Far too many hotels only seem to offer hard, uncomfortable dining room style chairs at in room desks. Really wish more hotels would provide proper, adjustable, office chairs.

‘The Loft’ – Brussels Airlines main lounge at BRU is one of the best lounges for working in, found myself in there a few times last year. It has a separate, quiet, well-lit room with large desks. Great place to get a bit of work done.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ MartinJ – 12/01/2016 15:06 GMT

The BA lounge at Schipol is an oasis of tranquility with decent working spaces and computers… The only minor problem at the moment is having to get access via the round-about route across the roof. At least it is somewhat closer to the BA gates than its predecessor – albeit still a brisk 5-minute walk.

Schaible
    Participant

Most lounges are either to crowded or not well equipped enough to work efficiently. I gave up doing important work in a lounge. That’s why I use the time to enjoy, have a drink and a snack, maybe a shower and then a quick glance on my emails.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – agree about the Schipol lounge, but I think the ladder-climb assault course entry has now been sorted.

hueyjudy
    Participant

Possible lack of a desk is good to know … DRAT these designers … I’ll check very carefully before booking hotels in the future. I have to laugh: for years I preferred sitting propped up on the bed to work but as time goes by I find now that I’m more comfortable at a table/desk with a GOOD chair. Hilton has a new concept here in the US called Home2Suites, kind of an extended stay idea. They have SUPER tables with roll-out lower sections for your laptop and adjustable executive chairs. It’s heaven. I cannot imagine spending a week in a hotel with no proper work space. Oh, yeah, the point of this thread … lounges are for relaxing or a max of 1 hour actual work, it’s actually easier to work on the plane.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Here is a good example of customer thinking. The Regent Singapore. With the desk in the bedroom, which is of good size and plenty of space, but open the left hand desk drawer and it is in fact 4 four points. Easy to charge any number of devices.. How many times have we had to engage in extreme yoga type activity to locate power points , if there are any, usually in some inaccessible places under the desk!.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Here is a good example of customer thinking. The Regent Singapore. With the desk in the bedroom, which is of good size and plenty of space, but open the left hand desk drawer and it is in fact 4 four points. Easy to charge any number of devices.. How many times have we had to engage in extreme yoga type activity to locate power points , if there are any, usually in some inaccessible places under the desk!.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls