Wizz to restart services from Luton from May 1st

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=996888][/postquote]

It may not for you, but for others it is key that they work and get paid and try to get on with their lives, so my suggestion is continue to stay at home as is your right and when its safe you can pop your head over the parapet and get on with yours! The airline is flying and therefore he is taking advantage of that fact…..

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Agreed – as things reopen everyone will need to make a judgement call.

Some people will have a business or financial need to travel once Governments and airlines make the appropriate arrangements. However there is nothing to stop others continuing to isolate and work from home if they feel that appropriate.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=996952]so my suggestion is continue to stay at home as is your right and when its safe you can pop your head over the parapet and get on with yours![/quote]

Whilst I agree with the above choices once Government lock down and travel restrictions are lifted, right now in the UK lock down has not been lifted (or relaxed). According to the FCO website and the Government lock down rules “essential travel only”. I would be interested to hear K1ngston, whether your son can advise whether any checks are being made at Luton, for passengers to justify their trip is essential and also how busy the flight was in terms of passengers.

For educational purposes interested to know whether any insurance contracts (not only travel insurance) will be compromised if passengers (or even airline) fly for non essential reasons.

The Department of Transport have pulled a flight display in honour of Capt. Tom’s 100th birthday celebrations, in part, due to the display being categorised as non essential travel.

Congrats to you son for the new job – off the payroll… 🙂

[quote quote=996963]Agreed – as things reopen everyone will need to make a judgement call.

Some people will have a business or financial need to travel once Governments and airlines make the appropriate arrangements. However there is nothing to stop others continuing to isolate and work from home if they feel that appropriate.[/quote]

I think this will be a serious issue for many, especially the older generation. After x weeks of lock down, adjusting to being allowed into the big wide world (even with social distancing) will concern many. When I go out running, I see the younger generation moving a few feet to the side of the pathway to social distance (of course head down looking at phones) whilst the older generation either move in to someone’s driveway, walk in the middle of the road or even cross the road to social distance.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=996976]I think this will be a serious issue for many, especially the older generation. After x weeks of lock down, adjusting to being allowed into the big wide world (even with social distancing) will concern many. When I go out running, I see the younger generation moving a few feet to the side of the pathway to social distance (of course head down looking at phones) whilst the older generation either move in to someone’s driveway, walk in the middle of the road or even cross the road to social distance.[/quote]

I struggle with the potential long term damage this extended lock down is doing to our already fractured society.
    Like you Martyn, the few times I’ve been out you van sense the growing paranoia. which is understandable considering the continual doom and gloom narrative required to convince us to stay separated .
    As an individual knowing that I’m free from the virus, my uncertainty isn’t towards my fellow citizens, my vigilance is focused towards physical surfaces, but then again i instinctively risk manage decisions at my work , which drives my optimistic lemming like colleagues crazy !

Back on topic, i’d like to think the government grabs the opportunity to use Wizz’s decision to test, analyse and learn the impact linear movement has on cluster demographics
    We might then be able to move more quickly from the new norm ( I choke when i hear “new norm” – there’s nothing normal about this) back to something near society normality

I’d imagine the people who take advantage will not be for business, I suspect that business travel will be way down the order of importance when restrictions are eased .
    probably folks heading home , visiting family or potentially ,as it’s Luton , the business travel won’t be men in suits but agricultural workers helping local farmers with their crop ?

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=996976][/postquote]

Thanks Martyn, you know my son, he will be extremely careful and mindful but he has made his decision and I respect and encourage it. I will get him to let me know what the procedures are once he arrives into TLV and I will report back to the forum. As for another off the payroll that never really happens Martyn you know that 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=996952]so my suggestion is continue to stay at home as is your right and when its safe you can pop your head over the parapet[/quote]

Hi K1ngston
    Going to be deliberately pedantic here. Staying at home at least for me, isn’t a right, quite the opposite .
    In the UK, call it what you want -Stay at Home- Keep the NHS safe, or the more hard line phrase .. “Lockdown”

Actually, and it’s worth us all taking note of this …..
    I’ve been placed under “House arrest”, with a 30 minute recreation period allowed per day
    You can sugar it up , but if I’m out when I shouldn’t be and can’t answer correctly then the police will take action against me.

Let me say that I’m willing doing this , because up to now I can see the better good

But, that’s one of the reasons why , after almost 6 weeks of isolation I’m happy to see Wizz push some buttons with our IMO current tunnel vision thinkers

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Whatever happens there will always be some ambiguities. Some people would consider travelling abroad to a new job as essential, some wouldn’t. During the lockdown you have to rely on individual judgement, as the rules will never be that prescriptive.

What is clear is that some hard decisions are looming. At some point the brutal reality is the economics of business failures, increasing unemployment and paying people to sit at home will need to be weighed up against the health risk (yes, including death) to mainly older and infirm members of the community.

Of course as stated above, even post lockdown people will still need to make their own choices. When restrictions are removed then business and travel will start to return. That does not prevent people staying at home and self isolating until 2025 if that is what they really want to do, however that will be a personal choice and won’t be binding on the general population as the current restrictions are.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=996976]The Department of Transport have pulled a flight display in honour of Capt. Tom’s 100th birthday celebrations, in part, due to the display being categorised as non essential travel.[/quote]

Obviously not, as I have just watched it on the TV.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=997145]MartynSinclair wrote:
    The Department of Transport have pulled a flight display in honour of Capt. Tom’s 100th birthday celebrations, in part, due to the display being categorised as non essential travel.

Obviously not, as I have just watched it on the TV.[/quote]

Oh dear Simon, you do like to argumentative sometimes.. 🙂

At the time of the above posting, the Department of Transport would not grant a display permit for the privately arranged fly past for Capt Tom.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/captain-tom-moore-birthday-spitfire-salute-flypast-cancelled-crowds-nhs-a9487251.html

Subsequently the RAF decided OR was already planning, their own flypast which took place as you say, in remarkable fashion this morning.

Happy birthday Colonel Tom (presume he can use the new title). ÂŁ 30mil and increasing.

capetonianm
    Participant

I understood that the reason that they cancelled (and then did an about turn) the flypast for Colonel Tom was that it would attract a large gathering of people (for some reason I almost wrote a gathering of large people!)

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=997149][/postquote]

Not being argumentative, just showing that definitions of essential vary and disagreements happen even in high places.

I gather there are still hundreds of thousands of Brits globally trying to get home, would you say the flypast was a more or less essential need (not disputing the good cause)?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=997172]I gather there are still hundreds of thousands of Brits globally trying to get home, would you say the flypast was a more or less essential need (not disputing the good cause)?[/quote]

The UK is now the Worlds only 100% open border, for commercial passenger arrivals, amongst the hardest hit countries, in terms of the number of deaths. I can not understand the UK’s position.

Flypast, made me very proud to be British.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=997183][/postquote]

Good way of avoiding the question – as one of the most strident critics would you have said the flypast was essential activity?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The question can not be answered SimonS1 as there appears no lockdown definition for ‘essential travel’ – especially from Luton to Tenerife on Wizz. As you say:

[quote quote=997172]definitions of essential vary and disagreements happen even in high places[/quote]

I will comment that Corporal Tom, deserved the flypast. The ÂŁ30 mil raised so far verses the cost of the flypast I am sure makes good economical sense.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=997190][/postquote]

I imagine many of the 15,000 people returning each day through Heathrow are returning Brits who would consider their journeys just as essential as a flypast, however well intentioned.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls