With new airport now open, are Turkish losing their mojo?

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• superchris
    Participant

Just back from a trip to Africa which required 2 connections via the new Istanbul airport. First impressions of the airport are very positive, massive expanse of space and really impressive however…..

The terminal is absolutely huge. Flight arrived at F gates with the connection just 2 gates away. However to get the lounge involved a 40 minute round trip walk as the lounge is located by gate C1. Signage is truly appalling and after eventually finding the Star Gold lounge, much tutting and shaking of heads ensued before the staff eventually and reluctantly agreed to allow my wife in as a guest on my Star Alliance gold card. Lounge was good but no better on what they had at Ataturk.

The location of the lounge and walking times are ridiculous. Surely they must open other lounges at some stage? Do I recall that new Hong Kong airport only had 1 lounge when it first opened but quickly realized it needed others due to the size of airport?

At the gate, in the UK as well as Istanbul, the business class, priority boarding line completely unmanned so had to board with the masses. Asked a simple question at he gate as to how busy the flight was, could I change seat and told flight completely full – yet on board flight was around 30% empty.

Food has deteriorated badly – am not sure if its still provided by DO&CO? Staff grumpy in the extreme – perhaps just a language thing. Bizarrely on a flight leaving East Africa at 2am (and an hour late), they served a hot meal at 3.30am with full lights on for most of the flight.

Both connecting flights were delayed by >90 minutes – I would be very nervous about taking a flight with a connection of <2 hours.

In conclusion, am wondering if by having the new airport, they feel able to scale back in other areas? Would be interested in other views from anyone who has travelled through since the opening.

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have a friend who swears their business class is the best thing in the air and travels between EU, west Africa and South Africa with them every few weeks and has been doing so for the last ten years.

I haven’t heard his recent comments, but shall be seeing him soon and will raise the matter.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls