Window blind etiquette

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=951360]No-not ‘foreigners’in Singapore![/quote]

I remember my very first visit to Singapore. I was being very inquisitive with a taxi driver and asked him about the demographic make up of Singapore as I noticed the number of different nationalities working in the service industry.

His answer has stuck with me to this day, “Sir, we have no foreigners in Singapore, we are all Singaporeans”

What a wonderful answer…. and to this day, the far east still surprises & educates me… I love the place, a place where my window blinds and hotel curtains remain firmly OPEN!!

4 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=951406]

No-not ‘foreigners’in Singapore!

I remember my very first visit to Singapore. I was being very inquisitive with a taxi driver and asked him about the demographic make up of Singapore as I noticed the number of different nationalities working in the service industry.

His answer has stuck with me to this day, “Sir, we have no foreigners in Singapore, we are all Singaporeans”

What a wonderful answer…. and to this day, the far east still surprises & educates me… I love the place, a place where my window blinds and hotel curtains remain firmly OPEN!![/quote]

And Asia loves you too Martyn especially the bars and clubs 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

And I will always be grateful to you K1ngston for leading me to some of the bars and clubs…may be not to all of them 🙂

And you know where iam sitting now is thanks to you..

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=951459]And I will always be grateful to you K1ngston for leading me to some of the bars and clubs…may be not to all of them 🙂

And you know where iam sitting now is thanks to you..[/quote]

Martyn we have certainly had some amazing nights together here in Asia, and I certainly know where you are now, some of the best Sake on Sukhumvhit. Enjoy my friend, and remember next time you need too come to Phuket, we have a “place” specially for you 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=951473]we have a “place” specially for you 🙂[/quote]

Thank you Tom and BT for a platform to meet so many amazing friends….

SAS
    Participant

According to Wikipedia, there are 5.4 million people living in Singapore, with 1.6 million non residents ( non citizens and non permanent residents )

So the taxi driver’s reply may have been inspiring, but not factual.

K1ngston
    Participant

So the taxi driver’s reply may have been inspiring, but not factual.[/quote]

Bah humbug to you! If the taxi driver said that its normally more profound than what you will get from 90% of the Uncles who drive taxis….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=951487]According to Wikipedia,[/quote]

Suhail – My inquisitive nature started well before the launch of wiki….

cwoodward
    Participant

Suhail wrote: ‘According to Wikipedia, there are 5.4 million people living in Singapore’

I’m afraid that you are wrong again Suhail by close to 500K.
    Wikipedia is a very lazy way of finding information and is invariably an inaccurate source.
    Nonsense in = nonsense out you understand.

The current population of Singapore is 5,873,831 (plus or minus a couple) as of Wednesday, July 31, 2019

I know, I counted them………NOT.

capetonianm
    Participant

The problem with Wikipedia, and which makes it an unreliable source in many areas is that anyone can edit it. By the law of averages, most people will do so without malicious intent and to the best of their knowledge and belief, but it still needs to be treated with caution.

Andrew
    Participant

Another issue with Wikipedia (which makes it dangerous to use) is that the entries were reasonably up to date when they were posted – but when was that and when were they ever updated? It’s common to see references to something ‘starting in 2016’ or some-such, clearly written before 2016 and never updated.

MatchboxGirl
    Participant

Hi

I also found eye masks quite claustrophobic, however ended up finding one where the loops hook round the back of my ears rather than round the back of my head which really helped. Not sure if you’re UK based, but I swear by a brand called Spacemasks which heat up gently (once) to help you get to sleep but I also use them after the heating property has been used as they’re the softest thing ever.

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls