Willie Walsh’s Best Ever Year as IAG Crowned FTSE’s Top Performer

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)

• Anonymous

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Triples all round for Willie and his IAG team as he delivered the top performing shareholding in the FTSE 100, according to The Guardian:

“The fastest-rising share of 2013? The one that really took off? The surprise top performer in the FTSE 100 was IAG, the holding company for British Airways and Iberia, which started the year at just 194p but on 19 December was trading above 380p.” [at 31 December, it’s just over 401p]

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/dec/21/ftse-100-shares-2013-best-worst

IAG up around 110% since the start of 2013, AF and LH up just 2-3% over the same period!

Over the past 12 months, as reforms the Board implemented bear fruit, IAG has trounced its nearest European comparators, legacy airlines such as AirFrance/klm and Lufthansa, as can be seen in this chart:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=IAG.L#symbol=iag.l;range=1y;compare=af.pa+lha.de;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

Others will continue to attempt feebly to denigrate all that Willie has achieved at BA/IAG, but they have, resoundingly, been proven time and again to be wrong.

BigDog.
    Participant

Shortly after Willie took the reins, just when his initiatives should start adding value, the BA price reached £5.75. After 8 years at the helm the price is now around £3.90. After 8 years he still has some way to go to merely break-even and that is excluding inflation and lost opportunity cost..

Good to see at least a part of the huge loss of value (upto 80%) incurred on Walsh’s watch has been recovered though. I have made a very nice bundle as purchased a tidy amount when Walsh took it down to £1.30 and beyond.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Oh dear, SM! You’ve just made their Christmas. Let the rants begin!!

JohnHarper
    Participant

I wonder what crashing a 747 in to a (stationary) building will do for the share price? I doubt it will enhance it.

Can you comment on that Krug?

canucklad
    Participant

It is indeed ,definitely good news SM….
    Good to see a European company doing well.
    Looking forward to the BA Bean Counters releasing some funds in order to invest in making their aircraft/airline a little safer.
    Starting with upgrading their outdated flight deck computers.
    Some extra flight crew training on how to read airfield charts.

JohnHarper
    Participant

SergeantMajor – 24/12/2013 13:15 GMT

A terrific performance even in the last days of 2013’s trading year, up 5%:

But has the JNB crash been factored in to this? I very much doubt it, that will ‘adjust’ things somewhat.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

What happened to Air France’s share price after this incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUQjssLi9Ik

JohnHarper
    Participant

SergeantMajor – 24/12/2013 13:51 GMT

But Krug, this thread is about BA, please stay on topic.

JohnHarper
    Participant

SergeantMajor – 24/12/2013 13:51 GMT

But Krug, this thread is about BA, please stay on topic.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m genuinely curious , If it is proven that the crew were indeed negligent , will BA have to suffer the loss or will the insurers pay out ?

millionsofmiles
    Participant

I’d like to know how much of BB Krugs funds are in BA shares and since when?
    And all European indices are at high levels, so it is just a “me-too”.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

canucklad – 24/12/2013 14:01 GMT

If it works the same way as light aircraft insurance, they will pay out.

If the pilots were unlicensed, drunk, high etc, maybe not, but they weren’t, I’m sure.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

do BA partially self insure?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls