Willie Walsh – questions benefits of alliances.

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Came across an interesting article where Willie Walsh says he thinks airlines alliances such as Oneworld and Star no longer give a commercial advantage and that ‘I would be surprised and questioned whether they will exist in ten years from now’.

https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/0826465-emirates-and-iag-bosses-question-future-airline-alliances?

Flightlevel
    Participant

Well he should know and since joint ventures are a return to pooled routes its understandable though trust miles cards continue to be used on several airlines.

openfly
    Participant

If BA are striving to be a loco carrier then leaving One World will happen….

JohnHarper
    Participant

I think *A was first off the blocks with five members. Back in those days I could see the benefits of it and things like booking across all five members from a single website and through check in and baggage interlining was a great improvement on what was.

It’s interesting that now you can no longer book on any one website to get to a place that isn’t served by the airline concerned and so this is definitely a backwards step. I don’t think it’s any better at Sky Team or oneworld. I can see the alliances changing a great deal in coming years and I think the Etihad model which is evolving is far more promising for the future.

It’s really just a question of how long it all takes and who is next. Emirates don’t really need an alliance with anyone but their position is unique.

christopheL
    Participant

Alliances have become too big to make it possible to work together in a civilised way.
    Skyteam seems to me the only one alliance which still keep the original spirit of airline alliances (“skyteam priority” is a must and is unrivalled).
    Etihad Partners may become a new type of alliance as it has been created by a sole dominant airline with its “subsidiaries”.
    Qatar has started to become Oneworld dominant’s carrier when it took a stake in IAG. They are now to take another stake in Latam. Will AA become their next target ?
    The QF/EK deal à with QF remaining a OW member with far less benefits for FF travelers of other FFP members is one more sign.
    Alliances are what there members want them to be.
    The recent changes in the check-in Policy within OW shows that OW is definitively no more customer focused.
    I can’t say anything about Star Alliance as I newer fly with them.
    In my mind the only alliance which still give real benefits to travelers is Skyteam.

Uncledude
    Participant

Not so…

The First Alliance was the tripartite “Global Excellence Alliance” between Singapore, The Old Swissair and Delta in 1989.

Uncledude
    Participant

Not so…

The First Alliance was the tripartite “Global Excellence Alliance” between Singapore, The Old Swissair and Delta in 1989.

Panda01
    Participant

Is this a hint of something to come?

canucklad
    Participant

Remember that his comments come from a BA/IAG centric position.
    He’ll love his relationship with AA, after all AA has historically contributed more to BA’s coffers than its own services to the U.S. has.
    If only CX would agree to the same conditions on the HKG route ! : )

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I question the value of Willie Walsh …..

Panda01
    Participant

[quote quote=774087]I question the value of Willie Walsh …..

[/quote]

Just curious as to why?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=774088]

I question the value of Willie Walsh …..

Just curious as to why?

[/quote]

Why wouldn’t anyone question the value of a highly paid CEO?

Isn’t the principle of governance based on such questioning?

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=774079]Remember that his comments come from a BA/IAG centric position.
    He’ll love his relationship with AA, after all AA has historically contributed more to BA’s coffers than its own services to the U.S. has.
    If only CX would agree to the same conditions on the HKG route !
    CX has twice the capacity of BA on HKG – LON (OW biggest route in ASK’s) and older aircraft (except 350, LGW) so they may pool fares already and that’s virtually a JV.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls