Willie Walsh lasting legacy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

Apart from all the snide remarks made which might be or might not be justified about Willie Walsh………….
    ….this article appeared in The Business Travel News and I have just come across it. It makes interesting reading and I think is the best I have read so far.

“COMMENT: Willie Walsh’s late departure:”

https://www.btnews.co.uk/article/16609

JohnnyG
    Participant

Apart from all the snide remarks made which might be or might not be justified about Willie Walsh………….
    ….this article appeared in The Business Travel News and I have just come across it. It makes interesting reading and I think is the best I have read so far.

I quite agree, an interesting article but again highlighting how much work Cruz or his successor has to do to improve the quality of the product offered. In addition BA don’t know whether to leave LGW or not. WW’s policy of withdrawing from regional airports, especially Man has been nothing short of a disgrace.

SimonS1
    Participant

WW’s policy of withdrawing from regional airports, especially Man has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Just curious – why?

JohnnyG
    Participant

WW’s policy of withdrawing from regional airports, especially Man has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Just curious – why?

IMHO It is a national airline and should be seen to be one, cuts to services, withdrawal or not from LGW, Man is the largest northern airport, yet it appears to be either LHR or nothing.

RoyJones
    Participant

IMHO It is a national airline and should be seen to be one, cuts to services, withdrawal or not from LGW, Man is the largest northern airport, yet it appears to be either LHR or nothing.

BA is a business, not an organisation that subsidises unprofitable routes. In the case of IoM allowing Loganair to market the route allows Loganair to keep all the profits (if any) rather than BA taking a marketing and sales fee. There is a case for BA to put a code share on some domestic routes but, most certainly, Virgin and other Heathrow or Gatwick based airlines would scream “anti competitive”.

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Just curious – why?

Ahhhhh, this enigmatic question is raised again ……

BA long gave up it’s right to be considered a national carrier , add in it’s appalling attitude to it’s employees and frankly does it really deserve our support.
    I’ve not considered BA as a first choice carrier for a long time. it’s attitude towards EDI & Scotland is superfluous to say the least.
    Ironically, with the shutting of LGW , EDI must be close to being its 2nd busiest base ?

esselle
    Participant

Not complimentary by any standard, and for me it’s the inferences of negative thought that say the most. And as Cruz has been passed over for the top job, it seems pretty clear that he will be gone soon.

I’m not sentimental about the “flag carrier” point, but many, particularly those from overseas, will still see BA as exactly that, and so it will not “reflect” well on our country if the present management continue to b**ls things up so badly.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m not sentimental about the “flag carrier” point, but many, particularly those from overseas, will still see BA as exactly that, and so it will not “reflect” well on our country if the present management continue to b**ls things up so badly.

And that’s possibly his legacy, leaving a business that has pretty much alienated it’s core demographic .

Ask a Frenchman who their 1st choice is ? ===== Air France
    Ask a German ======== Lufthansa
    Ask an Australian ======= Qantas
    Ask A Dutchman ========an emphatic Yes to KLM
    A Hong Konger ===== Cathay

A Brit ? ….(especially outside the M25 ) then the answer’s going to be KLM, Emirates, Qatar, Easyjet, Swiss, Cathay and in my case Air Canada . Although in recent years they’ve adopted the same attitude to their customers as BA

Poor show WW

6 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

BA sticking two fingers up to LBA….

At least we have one worldwide carrier that appreciates our business…Thankyou KLM 😀😀

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

BA long gave up it’s right to be considered a national carrier , add in it’s appalling attitude to it’s employees and frankly does it really deserve our support.

Hey canucklad, I know it’s (with an apostrophe) completely off-topic, but that I am an apostrophe pedant. However, three in one sentence, none of which need an apostrophe – and then another superfluous one in the next. Wow!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Stevescoots
    Participant

I agree with some others, in 12 months it will be “willie who?” During the banking crisis the heads of the failing banks were household names, who can remember them now?

My view on legacy depends on one’s own priorities and you have to remove circumstances, or at least consider force majeure situations such as Covid.
    Is shareholder value per qtr more important than long term stability and growth?
    Is the concept of a national flag carrier relevant?
    Should aviation be viewed as part of a nation’s critical infrastructure or simply a for profit enterprise?
    On one my own opinion is always longer-term stability and growth. On this it is hard to judge, whilst its obvious that WW eyes are always on today’s market value, he has been in the fortunate position to benefit BA’s historic near monopoly on landing slots. Not uncommon in most countries for the perceived flag carrier.
    I personally think a national flag carrier is important as it projects a global image of that nation, on this he has been a disaster.
    I do think that aviation is critical to a nations infrastructure but should be balanced by the government with rail services so that no business or person is more than 1 hour away flight or rail journey from an international hub. I think it is something the taxpayer should subsidise. As far as BA is concerned this it is a for profit company so pulling out of non-profitable regions makes sense.
    For me personally I avoid them as much as possible on long haul which is easy considering they are 95% of the time 30-100% more expensive on the routes I fly. Can I blame WW for that? No as whoever is at the top they would and should charge the maximum the market will pay for the product

esselle
    Participant

Hey canucklad, I know it’s (with an apostrophe) completely off-topic, but that I am an apostrophe pedant. However, three in one sentence, none of which need an apostrophe – and then another superfluous one in the next. Wow!

“ A man has appeared in Court accused of failing to use commas. The Judge said he is facing a long sentence. “

6 users thanked author for this post.

Frederic
    Participant

I am more attached to content than to style… the remarks of canucklad were rather interesting and worth of a more interesting comment!!

canucklad
    Participant

“ A man has appeared in Court accused of failing to use commas. The Judge said he is facing a long sentence. “

Indeed, up in the front of the beaks on Friday —– Charged with reckless use of the English language , specifically the apostrophobic use of comma’s and the occasional misuse of symbols and worse , the manslaughter of prepositions and tenses .

“No excuse , Ma Lord , I’m well educated on two continents ”

SimonS1
    Participant

Just curious – why?

Ahhhhh, this enigmatic question is raised again ……

I’ve not considered BA as a first choice carrier for a long time. it’s attitude towards EDI & Scotland is superfluous to say the least.
    Ironically, with the shutting of LGW , EDI must be close to being its 2nd busiest base ?

I don’t think BA has any interest in this “right to be considered a national carrier” type waffle. The airline was privatised almost 35 years ago. Private companies exist to make profits for shareholders, not to be some public service/charity.

If there was profitable business to be done by running a serious route network from Manchester, or Glasgow, or anywhere else outside London they would be doing it. But there isn’t, as BA’s model can’t compete with the low cost operators.

Apart from perhaps Lufthansa in Munich and Frankfurt that is the same with pretty much every other legacy airline in Europe.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September / October 2020 edition
Business Traveller September / October 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls