Why Your Seatbelt Should Remain Securely Fastened Until….

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

continentalclub
    Participant

….the aircraft has come to a complete stop at the gate and the Captain has turned off the fasten seatbelt signs:

http://youtu.be/fMKGv3KFqKo

Reports are that the CRJ involved was evacuated with no injuries to passengers or crew, so it’s hopeful that those onboard had paid heed to Deltalina and were tightly tethered when the flying blancmange hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgpzUo_kbFY

BlackTower
    Participant

French exceptionalism at its best

Did Deltalina spend all her money on cosmetic surgery?

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

A new take on the old scissors paper stone game – my A380 can take your CRJ for a spin.

I have yet to be on a flight where nobody at all stands up before the seat belt sign goes off, even when the cabin crew remind passengers as the aircraft approaches the stand. As soon as one person stands up, another 50 do so within a second like some primordial herd instinct.

Looks like the CRJ was still heading to the stand, although I’ve certainly seen passengers around me unfastening their seat belts immediately after landing.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I respectfully disagree with the original post.

You should keep your seatbelt fastened because the aircraft might stop suddenly under controlled circumstances.

If a captain allows his jet to hit a stationary aircraft, this is a systemic failure. Ultimately the buck stops with the captain.

The passengers should not have to worry about those types of incident, they should not happen.

I’ve only ever commanded smaller aircraft, but if there was ever a doubt in my mind about fitting through a space, I would stop and ask for ground assistance.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Seems it was down to AF but the investigation is just beginning and in fairness to AF JFK is notoriously crowded. Thankfully no-one was hurt.

It does however seem unfortunate that this is yet another incident involving Air France metal and would cause me to think very hard about flying with them again.

Potakas
    Participant

You are spot on this LuganoPirate ,

I have to fly EDI-CDG on May and I booked today my tickets with BA instead of AF.

AF was 80 pounds cheaper and their flight direct but I don’t trust them.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Lugano

I agree that the AF capt will carry the burden, but as I said, a systemic failure.

What were ATC doing clearing an aircraft down the centre line of a taxiway where clearance should be guaranteed?

Why was the jungle jet sticking it’s derriere into a zone that should be sterile?

Captain’s responsibility, for sure, but at night in a very busy port, a number of others have questions to answer IMHO.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree P.Sepsas, I just don’t trust AF anymore. Is it just a run of bad luck or incompetence I don’t know and I’m not qualified enough to answer, but as thankfully I still have a choice I will also choose another carrier to fly with.

Disgusted, you’re right, ATC have a lot to answer for, but as you say in the end it’s down to the captain and if he felt there was no room to pass, he should have disregarded instructions to taxi and informed ATC he was stopping due to possible obstruction.

It’s not the first time this has happened with AF. It also occurred at CDG between an A380 and an A330. Not sure whose fault it was, and knowing the French they’ll hush it up as much as possible (which makes me even more nervous about flying AF) but both aircraft involved were AF metal!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I just love the way that the cabin crew slam dunk the overhead bins in the safety video.

I always notice on Thai how the cabin crew close the bins using the latch, very civilised.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls