Why mini bars are so expensive…

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you one and all for your contributions on this.

It does seem extraordinary that something so simple – drinks and snacks in the room – can prove so difficult for the hotel to fulfill.

Like Jonathan, I wonder why, if the fridges are a fixed asset lasting several years they should push up the cost of the items they contain to such a degree, a fridge must last at least five years, I would have thought.

Presumably the automated ones which instantly record every item that is removed are wired into some sort of phone system to allow this, perhaps that adds to the charges? Or are they internet fridges?

Apparently the hotels buy the fridges, rather than simply leasing them, which seems an odd choice.

I agree about the heat generated by the fridges which adds to the demands on the air conditioning in the room – and also the noise from many of them humming through the night.

One possible solution is that of the Hoxton Hotel in London which has vending machines and also food, drinks and alcohol for purchase at reception beneath the glass top reception counter, and all at high street prices. A nice touch.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/archive/2007/october-2007/tried-and-tested/hotel-check-the-hoxton

The review is from 2007, so the prices quoted will have gone up !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

as do Premier Inns – but i doubt that the likes of VK and co would have seen the inside of such establishements!!

Binman62
    Participant

I alwasy insist that the hotel empty the mini bar…….it drives them mad but I have never been refused…..I then put my own stuff in there……Very useful when you have kids….one very painful experience in Hong Kong costs me £12 for a bottle of water left by the side of the bed (and clearly marked that I would be charged. the kids opened it because they were thirsty) …..So now I ask at check in.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

£12 for a bottle of water – where on earth were you staying in Hong Kong for a hotel to justify £12.00 for a bottle of water. C R A Z Y !!

Thatch22
    Participant

We use normal prices in my apartment, because I always hated that the mini bars item were too expensive

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls