Why does Qatar Airways not contact customers when it changes and stop flights?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• WillieWelsh
    Participant

[quote quote=775610]Williwelsh being rude and calling me a troll is just as bad. Being patronizing doesn’t make you right. How about you playing somewhere else. You have no business in deciding who writes what got it?

[/quote]

TROLL ALERT

MrMichael
    Participant

My pennies worth now. I think the recruitment and employment antics of all the ME3 leave something to be desired. However from what I can gather Qatar are by far the worse. I rarely agree with John Harper (ba basher) but on this issue I am pretty much in his court. I think much of the now glitzy gulf is built on questionable employment of desperate people. I flew Qatar once (in J) as a part of a RTW and frankly felt a little uncomfortable knowing the staff serving me were little more than well dressed friendly slaves. I think a good measure of any employer is looking at its maternity policy. Your fired!

I get the impression Pilots are treated better, albeit not by a long chalk. Unfortunately for Pilots at the moment there are too many to go around and subsequently working in what they call “The Sandpit” is their only option if they want to stick with their chosen career.

As I have said in previous debates about the ME3 and how they finance their operations and work out their profits, their model would not work in most developed countries. The spat between the ME3 and the big US airlines throws up some unanswered questions that are worth considering in this debate.

Sam
    Participant

And yet the so called ME3 are laughing all the way to the bank

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Mr Michael – are you aware that Al-Baker refers to pilots as ‘his chauffeurs!’ He has little regard for them either but they are not quite as easy to replace as cabin crew. I used to use QR quite a bit when we lived in Scotland, there are no Western Europeans among the pilots either.

rferguson
    Participant

What I find with Qatar – superb onboard flights and in lounges. Dreadful with pre and post ‘customer service’. Such a contradiction given it’s fantastic product it’s almost funny.

My own little example – booked J class flights to ADL at a time when ADL was planned as a daily flight. I use a great little free app called ‘my flights’ that basically links in with Amadeus and constantly monitors any flight reservation changes. It’s particularly useful for advising you when an aircraft type is changed as it gives you a head start in bagging new seats. So, My Flights advises me of a change to my ADL trip but comparing the new with old reservation I couldn’t for the life of me see what had changed. So I ignored it. A couple weeks later I read on another forum that QR had reduced ADL from daily to five times a week. Then it dawned on me – that’s what had changed as my flight was originally booked for one of the days the flight no longer operated. Qatar had simply changed my reservation to now incorporate a 27hr transit in DOH without informing me. My travel was now only two weeks away and no one from Qatar advised me of the change and I honestly wouldn’t have been surprised if I discovered my extended transit on the day of travel.

So I call Qatar and inform them that a 24 hour delay is unacceptable and I want a reroute or even just a seat on one of their SYD/MEL flights (my ultimate destination was the Gold Coast anyway. I’d only booked ADL as the fare was incredibly cheap). However they came up with a long winded re-route (ARN-DOH-HKG then HKG-ADL with CX) which I though was unnecessary but hey ho more tier points. My new itinerary now involves a 9hr5min transit in DOH and the reservation agent asked me for my passport details so he could arrange the accommodation i’d be entitled to which I provided. Three days later I had an email from Qatar saying there was an error and in fact I wasn’t entitled to accommodation. I contacted Customer Service to complain and ask them to specify exactly why I was not entitled having previously been told I was. And also knowing QR’s policy that accom is provided when the shortest transit is over 8hrs. They replied and said that there was a further oversight and they’d book the accommodation. I reached DOH and went to the desk I was directed to go to for my accommodation and guess what?! ‘You aren’t entitled sir’. Despite me producing print outs of the email from Customer Relations.

Sorting stuff out when it goes out awry really is the weak link with Qatar.

Sam
    Participant

Very mature guys. One has to agree to your fallacies or he’s called a troll.

thebigseats
    Participant

No one is actually forced to work in “The Sandpit”. Many of the armchair “experts” on here have no real knowledge of the true circumstances which motivate staff who might work for airline “A” or “B”. One thing that is a fact. Many who do work in “The Sandpit” are, in may ways, better off than if they stayed in their own countries. It’s some of these home countries that should perhaps be criticised for fostering an environment which forces mass migration to countries with employment opportunities!

BPP
    Participant

I have found that QR are meticulous with timing changes but not so with aircraft changes.

My Business Class trip to BKK in February (booked in June) has had 3 minor changes of departure/arrival time (all notified) and so far 3 changes of aircraft which I have only discovered by regular checks on the web site. This does make keeping one’s preferred seating difficult.

I do suspect that QR are expanding to quickly, although the delays in delivery of the A350 can’t help.

If QR do read this, please do something about the food which is now far too Arab orientated. Several flights recently have left me hungry! Oh for an English breakfast or a Lufthansa steak!!
    BPP

Ahmad
    Participant

@rferguson,

Thanks for the heads up on MyFlights.

I have been using ExpertFlyer which has worked 99.99% of the time. The only time it didn’t was with the QR all business 319. When I notified them they replied that their aircraft change alert programme works on the basis of economy configuration and since there was none on that flight it wasn’t working. My only issue with the ExpertFlyer alerts is that you have to put in each flight manually and once an alert has been notified you have to set it up all over again. Very laborious and time consuming.

How is your experience with MyFlights in terms of accuracy?

sleak76
    Participant

I must agree with Travellau. A serious question for which I was hoping to find credible answers only to find, with the exception to StephenLondon, just plain useless gibberish that adds no value to the forum, let alone the question.

Sam: dont let JohnHarper and WillieWelsh get under your skin.
    If John had any TRUE regard to human rights, he would have long flown his own national airline. He flies Qatar due to his own personal convenience which renders him a supporter.
    You can’t cheer a bullfight and then leave the ring screaming for animal rights, can you?
    Let him contradict himself yet preach to the world. Sad.

As for Willie, his use of name calling to bully a fellow forum user simply shows you of what level he comes from. Don’t stoop to it. Rise above it by ignoring him.

Trust me. When you ignore bullies and preachers that contradict themselves, you’ll help silence them into oblivion. And that’s one noise pollution ALL forums look forward to ridding itself of.

Now back to topic: Anyone knows why Qatar fails to contact customers when it changes and stop flights?

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=775734]
    If John had any TRUE regard to human rights, he would have long flown his own national airline.

[/quote]

You are obviously talking from a standpoint of ignorance, I do most of my miles on my home carrier, Turkish Airlines, the standards there are higher than at Qatar IMO certainly in terms of staff welfare and the food is much better too.

The DOH-SIN route which I have had to fly a lot until now is a monopoly operation though and QR only so no choice. After all, why on earth would Singapore Airlines want to fly to Doha?

Sam
    Participant

You can fly doha to Singapore on emirates via dubai, Etihad via Abu Dhabi, Turkish via Istanbul, Oman air via muscat. Should I go on???!!!

Cloud-9
    Participant

But none of those are direct flights…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Sam, your posting style seems strangely familiar.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=775768]Sam, your posting style seems strangely familiar.

[/quote]

Very virulent for someone new to the Forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls