Why does London have 6 airports?

Back to Forum

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  MarcusGB 3 Feb 2019
at 13:27

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

This 10 mins youtube clip is brilliant. Informative and very amusing!

The other videos about London’s roads and tube lines are also great. I learned quite a lot as well as having a good laugh.

transtraxman
    Participant

Yes, Jay Foreman has done a lot of shorts like this on various aspects of “Unfinished London” – roads, tube lines etc., “How to Eat Out in London”. All are informative and humerous.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unfinished+london

Geoff Marshall usually makes shorts on the different Underground lines. Also very good and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=geoff+marshall+londonist

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In fact London has *eight* airports and not six.

Both Biggin Hill and Oxford are designated London area airports.

Home

Home

bryan
    Participant

Ten airports in metro London at least. Included is Farnborough, southwest of Greater London; and RAF Northolt in the northwest of Greater London.

RAF Northolt is a military air base that houses the Queens Flight and aircraft for transport for HM Government.

The runway and support facilities have long been coveted for many years by corporations and wealthy elites who live in Buckinghamshire and the Chiltern Hills.

Many are foreigners from the Middle East who fly in private jets to visit their country estates for the weekend.

Pressure has been heavy for HM Government to open RAF Northolt to private general aviation aircraft of these global billionaires.

The Saudi extended royal families, numbering in the thousands, in particular want access to this base as it is secured by the Royal Air Force and provides privacy. I

t is envisioned by them that the RAF would, at UK taxpayer expense, provide security, fuel and maintenance for their jets as they carry out the important affairs of shopping, dining, road racing and slumming in their mansions.

The air base is at the junction of the strategic M40 and M25. Look it up.

openfly
    Participant

Ryanair thinks that London has far more airports….London (Birmingham), London(Newquay), London(Cardiff), London (Belfast) and even London (Barra)!!!……..and what about London (Shoreham)??

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The runway and support facilities have long been coveted for many years by corporations and wealthy elites who live in Buckinghamshire and the Chiltern Hills.

In 2016 Flybe expressed a wish to operate at Northolt.

But not long after it decided to use those LHR remedy slots.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/business-travel/heathrow-gatwick-flybe-third-runway-raf-northolt-flights-a7326281.html

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Let’s not forget Southampton which is only 70mins away from London by train.

The other answers repeat the point I made a few years ago that the London/South East area does have a lot of runways but not in the same place. I said before that that is actually a good thing for point to point travellers since they can choose the most convenient runway to fly to. It is only transfer traffic that needs runways in the same place.

2 users thanked author for this post.

John
    Participant

Lets not forget LONDON ASHFORD, known locally as LA international.

canucklad
    Participant

Or indeed my favourite UK airport , well as least they told me it was …….
    Schiphol : )

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I also see Schiphol as far more useful, especially the hop from LCY. I can be at my Long Haul flight in Schiphol quicker, than allowing travel time ex North London, and the long processes at LHR. I save over £350 each flight, not paying the Long Haul Business taxes ex LHR! The flight ex UK is only to Europe, so you pay much less also, but could always purchase a return economy on KLM for ££91 return, less from other UK Airports like Bristol, at £75!

Many Airlines have varying prices ex AMS, KLM can be pricey if paid in Euros, but you start from the UK so can purchase a fare that way. LCY-AMS-BKK return Business class on KLM is currently £1575!

The most bizarre to me of the airports is London Southend!!
    When LCY is closed, aircraft tend to get diverted there. A bottleneck for traffic nearer you get, and not really thrived…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller July / August 2019 edition
Business Traveller July / August 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls