Why Does BA Stick with the 747?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Inquisitive
    Participant

Although off-late I am mostly travelling long haul in A380 (SQ), I am still a firm supporter of B747 for similar reasons noted by others. The only advantage I find in A380 is very low cabin noise level. As I travel mostly business class, lower number of business class seats is added plus in B747. The upper deck in B747 feels very exclusive. Also B747 is the most stable aircraft at lower speed – hence safest at take-off or duirng landing – especially where it had to circle sometimes at LHR. Compared to B777, 4 engines provides psychological benefit. Also B747 is tried and tested – no one can beat the experience.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

I was lucky enough to spend 3 hours in a BA 747 simulator at LHR earlier in the year – For anyone that is remotely interested in aviation and the 747, I can whole heartedly recommend it.

It gave me a real appreciation for the sheer size of the plane and the physical strength required to manoeuvre it in the air and on the ground! The experience itself is far from a simulation and unbelievably realistic.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

At the risk of slight thread drift, my favourite ride in J class is a well configured A340-600, e.g. Iberia.

Very smooth and quiet, much prefer it to the 777.

Bullfrog
    Participant

@ Loyal_BA

How does one manage to get into a 747 simulator if one is not a pilot ? .. please

Delsurrey
    Participant

Bullfrog, follow this link on the BA site to book your simulator flight.

http://www.ebaft.com/fly/fse.htm

Bullfrog
    Participant

@Delsurrey

Cheers ! Thank you !

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

For my flights between Australia and the UK and Australia and the US, I always deliberately choose my flights so that I am on the 747-400 rather than the A380. Two reasons:

* the A380 is just not as reliable (I have had several lengthy delays with engine problems on the A380; including one where we were told they couldn’t find the source of the problem!)

* NOTHING compares with upstairs on the 747.

And there’s just the whole Airbus “the computer knows best” mindset – I prefer aircraft that are designed for the pilot to override the computer, rather than the other way round!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

JP

I can understand you sticking to the 747 for the time being.

The A380 is a major new type and no doubt will become very reliable in the future, but it seems to be having some teething problems with the engines (whcih I believe the 747 also did, when first in service.)

I don’t recall the 777 having this type of trouble, maybe it did though.

Swissdiver
    Participant

As many of you mentioned, the 747 is an icon, a fabulous plane, upper deck is unique. And yes, me too, I am each time excited to fly on it. And yes, it counts in my flights’ selection when planning a journey.

Long live the King 747!

oscarbaja
    Participant

On long haul, I will always prefer 4 engines.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls