Why Does BA Stick with the 747?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Rob posted this, and I thought it warranted its own thread.

—————
    robsmith100 – 27/11/2010 13:03 GMT

BA have one of the biggest fleets of 747’s and where other airlines are discontinuing this model for either 777 or A380s, BA are still keeping, maintaining and upgrading them. Do you know what the logic is behind this and what the long term vision is for these aircraft?”

——————–

Do passengers appreciate the 747, or would you rather an all A380/777 fleet?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am sure that the accountants will give the 380 a very meaningful reason to be part of main fleets over the ageing 747’s. What will be interesting though will the effect of the -800 when it is launced.

From a passengers point of view, I far prefer the robustness, security and comfort of the 747 fleet. The aircraft is tried, tested and faster than the 380. Too many computers to go wrong on the 380 and given the choice I prefer 4 engines over the 2 on the 777.

I do use the airbus now and again but I still cant quite get over fact that the lavatory waste forms part of the pilots inflight balancing as it is being pumped around the aircraft!

The 747 will always be the iconic giant king of the skies – my vote is for the 747 fleet, although I am sure others will disagree.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’m sure the 777 is just as safe as a 747 but there is that added piece of mind of 4 engines over 2.

The A380 just feels too big for me ….

As a First Class passenger, I find the second row ideal on the 747 as the galley is behind & therefore aisle traffic kept to a minimum.

Potakas
    Participant

I agree with Martyn that : “The 747 will always be the iconic giant king of the skies”, this aircraft has its own reputation, also BA hasn’t stick for the future with 747s, has in order 12 A380s and some 787s

Some of them ,will replace the older 747s , also as VK had posted on another topic the Cargo section of BA will start using the 747-8s, i think from the usage of those they will learn some things and hopefully they will replace the remaining 747-400 with the 747-8s.

Regards

Potakas

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

I personally don’t really care for the 777 but still get a little excited on the 747 each time I fly – irrespective of airline!

I think the upstairs cabin on the BA 747’s is great becuase its small, has great service (usually!) and feels so much better than the main CW cabin downstairs.

The A380 is a great aircraft although it does full huge when onboard. I personally hope BA continue to invest in the 747.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Looking at it rationally, the 747 is a 40 year old frame and the economics do not stack up against the more modern aircraft for passenger work, which is why the 747-8 has had a very limited take up from the airlines.

However, the 747-8 seems to be a better freight carrier than the A380 and it would appear that it will be around for many more years in that form.

One of the great aircraft, the 747.

Flytoomuch
    Participant

The 747 inspires me the same way the Spitfire and the Concorde does. However, I am resigned to the demise of it in favour of the A380/A350/Dreamliner mix – simply a question of evolution.

In answer to the original question, I believe BA’s fleet is heading that way too. BA ordered the A380 later, either because of its financial position when the A380 was launched, or perhaps the desire to see others trial the new aircraft – I look forward to someone like VK expanding on this – but the 747 fleet will eventually be retired.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Whilst Concorde had an elegance, beauty and presence on the tarmac that was unsurpassed, it was also elusive.

For me the 747 is the icon of mass international travel. It has a special place for BA customers because of the upper deck layout and First cabin, particularly when compared to the 777 (4 class in particular).

PatJordan
    Participant

The Boeing 737 has often been called the Cortina of the skies.

Would this mean the 747 is the Granada of the skies??

I owned five Granadas (various models): all were supremely comfortable, spacious, reliable and durable. Just like the 747……

VintageKrug
    Participant

PJordan, just so you know, there is an “Edit Post” button to the right of the reply button, which you could easily use if you wished your credibility to remain intact 😉

PatJordan
    Participant

I know about the edit function VK, I just thought a bit of levity would be in order. No offence intended,

VintageKrug
    Participant

None taken – my post was in jest, too….

PatJordan
    Participant

Thanks VK. Too many posters are sniping at you, I didn’t want you to think I was another.

VintageKrug
    Participant

No problem…but really, a Granada *sniggers* 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls