Why does BA cancel so many flights during IRROPs?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

• SergeantMajor
    Participant

Plus extra crew hours would have them out of position so more hotel costs and repositioning costs, not to mention not every crewmember is able to be so flexible (remember these are people with lives, other personal commitments, children etc)

christopheL
    Participant

Please stop it boys !!!
    It’s time to go back to school (to work for anyone over 25 yo … if any!!!)

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Work? Very Middle Class. 😉

cityprofessional
    Participant

Computer says “no” then…

Re: crew hours. I understood that crew worked a certain number of flying hours a month. A BA pilot friend of mine bids for his schedule in such a way that he does all his month’s hours in a 5 day window, working up to maximum hours with minimum rest. Then sods off to the pool in Arizona for the rest of the month

This, I would argue, should not be allowed…

openfly
    Participant

Thought BA did quite well yesterday in holding almost the entire long-haul operation together. Just because a few short-hauls got canx is neither here nor there.

toonfan62
    Participant

As a comparison I was “lucky” enough to be flying Sunday during the storms on the US East Coast. 30 mins out of landing in ATL my connection was cancelled – “weather” – aka you’re on your own in the US.

I was already and automatically rebooked for the next available flight Monday. Didn’t work so after a bit of negotiating I caught the next flight home to MCO got an unscheduled breakfast with my family and then headed off to try again – space was available, it cost Delta nothing, and they gave me what I asked for and kept me loyal.

Point is US airlines have automatic rebooking down to a fine art and call hold times (at least for Elite plus)

BigDog.
    Participant

One hopes that BA is putting the customer first and not pandering to targets or avoiding compensation by opting for a cancellation rather than a delay. Maybe if it is cancelled it cannot be included in the lateness stats which airlines report.

Train companies have used the ruse of cancelling a train arriving at say Clapham Junction to avoid it being viewed as excessively late at Waterloo or Victoria thus having less black marks and claims.

Similarly some Hospitals have massaged their waiting list by ensuring a curt welcome / basic triage occurs quickly followed by a long wait – ensures their stats are good.

canucklad
    Participant

And in the case of Saturday

I wonder if BA would actually profit out of cancelling flights rather than delaying them, knowing that they can claim compensation back for lost revenue etc.?

Or am I being too cynical ?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Out of curiosity, and after BigDog’s tilt at BA in contrast with EZY’s performance (I think, in fairness, LGW did not have quite the same pea-souper as in west London) I did a “by-the-hour” breakdown of ex-LHR flight cancellations yesterday and noted that there were 89 BA against 52 by other carriers.

Whereas during the morning all-carriers’ cancellations averaged 6-7 per hour, between 14:00-18:00, the cancellation rate doubled with BA logging 9-12 cancellations per hour and some other carriers (notably LH, LX, SK and KL) taking quite substantial hits to their schedules too. LH cancelled some fifteen services overall. Between 17:00-18:00, BA cancelled twelve flights and other carriers eight. There is a very clear focus by BA on maintaining its long-haul schedule with almost all their cancellations being to continental European and UK domestic destinations.

However, what is not clear is why BA appears to be taking a disproportionate hit when other carriers are clearly then able to benefit from the remaining slot availability.

And Canucklad, regarding your questions about Saturday, does anyone know whether NATS’ supplier contract with both UK and overseas airlines includes any kind of compensation regime? I am reminded of the Network Rail “delay attribution centre” where they and the Train Operating Companies (TOCs) argue the toss about who was responsible for train delays and thence who compensates who. Any equivalent in the world of civil aviation?

HarryMonk
    Participant

Canucklad

I made the very same comment on Saturday, although not specifically with regards to BA

I’m sure loads on Saturday in early December are relatively low and for some airlines the events of Saturday could present them with an opportunity to cancel, delay or combine flights and be able to pass the blame on to someone else. Whether they choose to do so?

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting calculations there Anthony, how are you getting on with your calculations on the costs of borrowing as I have given you the sources a while back.

Plus the source for your comments about me suggesting “manifest failings” by BA management?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Simon

I have had the data and sources for several weeks but have been contemplating “the tone” of my reply to you… I will do this over the weekend.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

For the sake of balance.
    Serious disruption at Gatwick today.
    BA cancelled 22 flights. easyJet -the main operator – cancelled 54.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ ImissConcorde – 24/12/2013 19:12 GMT

I noticed last night that EZY was sending flights to AMS and other destinations because they could not get into LGW.

Perhaps, in the interest of balance, it would be appropriate to open a thread entitled ” Why does EZY cancel so many flights during IRROPs at LGW?”

BAorBUST01
    Participant

I used to be a supervisor for BMI in Edinburgh for many years, of course nearly every winter was the same, we had delays, sometimes long sometimes not, but what used to amaze me was one flake of snow and ALL BA flights were cancelled! now our check in area was next door to BA and of course If I was near the *Gold check in Desk (desk 38 for those of you who remember it!), I would often hear the BA check in Dragons (and yes some of them who were employed by BA then were as snooty as they come) would often say sorry all flights cancelled go and see BMI! whilst things have likely improved just a tad, as BA no longer employ thier own staff, but Servisair now employ many old BMI agents, BA still cannot run an operation very well. its all very well for SM to keep saying they did really well, try seeing things from the inside, and BA cancels for really no reason!

infact whatever excuses you may want to invent, the reasons are simple, and there are 2. ( I know this as my housemate was a BA Manager at EDI), they cancel because:

1) it saves them money, on fuel, crews, compensation etc blaming weather as an exceptional circumstance, which it is, if delayed they have to provide food vouchers , they did not like providing anything!

2) and believe it or not the MAIN reason why BA cancel so Many flights Year roundis, rather than delay a flight they will ALWAYS cancel, as it makes theyre online performance stats look like they are the most punctuale airline, so on paper they are always a safe bet, in reality….well anyone daft enough to give BA theyre money knows how poor the service is,

BA OTP is amazing , thats IF your flight Operates!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls