Why does Air France not fly London Nice route?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

I cannot remember why and when Air France stopped flying this route. Can anyone enlighten me?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s a long time norbert2008.

Twenty years ? Thirty years ?

Air France is a network carrier. Its operating costs are high and its business plan is to feed CDG/ORY rather than regional points.

In the same way as Lufthansa neglects Berlin/Hamburg/Stuttgart/Dusseldorf/Hamburg. Its mainline division serves only FRA and MUC.

And of course BA has a similar policy.

2 users thanked author for this post.

norbert2008
    Participant

Thank you Alex was just imagining First Class on an Air France 727/A300 on this route which Dirk Bogard used back in the day…..Nick

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That was a long time ago norbert2008. The last time I flew Air France LHR-NICE was around 1980/1981 with an A300.

It was the time when some European carriers (examples Air France / BA / SAS) had removed first class in favour of short-haul business class. At the same time they downgraded economy class to eurobudget.

cwoodward
    Participant

I remember that it was a very nice aircraft for the time and very successful by all accounts as it was in production for almost 25 years. I believe that it was in production as a freighter until fairly recently ?

norbert2008
    Participant

I flew in 1st class on A300 CDG – LHR but business service back in the 1980’s just asked to change seats, always champagne and canapes served. Why airlines dont do them for utra shorthaul in Biz? So easy?

jjlasne
    Participant

Isn’ t this route run more efficiently by easyJet on new Airbus aircraft?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1006060]Isn’ t this route run more efficiently by easyJet on new Airbus aircraft?[/quote]

Would not BA be the logical alternative to Air France seeing as it’s a conventional airline operating to Nice from LHR.

Of course EZY will offer a more economical service but I believe norbert2008 was reminiscing of the time when film stars heading to the South of France would patronise Air France first class.

Times change of course. With European airlines having removed first class on short flights maybe the same wealthy people now hire executive jets.

SimonS1
    Participant

I imagine the reason Air France doesn’t fly Nice-London is probably the same reason BA doesn’t fly Birmingham-Paris. There isn’t a profitable point to point market for a legacy airline.

These days people are busier and want to get from A to B as quickly and cost effectively as possible. The locos have taken the leisure market and businesses realise it doesn’t make sense to buy their staff premium tickets which involve a regular seat, a £5 meal and some cheap plonk. Service with a smile has of course long gone, the crew are only there for your safety plus a tune in to Galley FM.

alainboy56
    Participant

I once did a BA return flight one summer in the 80’s, LHR-NCE on an L1011.
    Don’t recall if back then it was called Biz, or First, but I was definitely ‘up the front’ being treated like a ‘film star’ or perhaps at that age, a rock star.

esselle
    Participant

I forget exactly when, probably late 90’s, but often flew on BA’s 767 on the LHR-NCE route. Their CE cabin was very comfortable, with the three seat centre rows dropped down to two seats with a decent “space“ in between. And in those days the catering offer in C was pretty decent too, making for a very pleasant flight.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006152][/postquote]

Yep the 767s were good – genuine business class.

These days the A320s are in reality an all economy cabin with a bit of rag moved up and down, cheap food and drink and an empty seat in the middle (ideal if you sit at right angles).

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls