Why do I need to show a boarding pass when buying a magazine at the airport?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 423 total)

• Luxembourger
    Participant

It is not (or should not be) a question of being rude to shop assistants.

The question is why the requirement is imposed in the first place – by whatever power that be.
    No one yet seems to be able to explain this.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Papillion53 @ 16.53

Thank you, I do agree with your words, sad character is another explanation which comes to mind.

We all have to travel through the airports, I can’t imagine what it’s like to work there.

And dos I have no, we’ll considerations if you care or not. It’s not something I would value or even consider. A bully will always hide behind anonymity on a forum like this.

MM.

Papillion53
    Participant

WALMART SENIOR GREETER

You just have to appreciate this one. Young people forget that we old people had a career before we retired……

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn’t seem to get to work on time. Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, Clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the
    Company and obviously demonstrating their “Older Person Friendly” policies.

One day the boss called him into the office for a talk.

“Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you finally get here; but your being late so often is quite bothersome.”

“Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it.”

“Well good, you are a team player. That’s what I like to hear”.

“Yes sir, I understand your concern and I will try harder”.

Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment, “I know you are retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you showed up in the morning late so often?”

The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled. He chuckled quietly, then said with a grin, “They usually saluted and said, Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir”?

Moral of the tale … You just never know who you are talking to! 🙂

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I have been off line for a few days (stolen briefcase…… laptop, passports, everything….) and so have the benefit of reading the many posts on this interesting thread.

I find the request for a boarding pass or flight number when buying articles not liable for duty a real pain. It is intrusive, it wastes time, and it is not for my benefit. The time I decided just never again to buy ANYTHING airside at LHR was when I was asked for my fight number, to Prague, before I could buy a bar of soap.

When browsing – not buying – in an electronics shop in T3 I asked the manager why they were asking for boarding cards. His reply was that it was to verify that the purchases could be tax free.

I don’t care. If people want to turn airports into shopping malls, then they should make shopping pleasant, without petty and (to me) intrusive questioning.

Good evening Luxembourger

I don’t know the answer to your question, but my first thought was that it was for market research purposes, as has been mentioned above. At the end of the day, it’s a trivial inconvenience. As your name suggests, do you live in Luxembourg?

papillion, you are a credit to this Forum!

esselle
    Participant

There is no reason at all for this other than the retailers building up a history of who buys what. There is no legislation that requires them to do it, be it domestic/EU/etc., and no standard approach, which is why sometimes you get asked for it and sometimes you do not.

If you refused to share the information, it is extremely unlikely that you would be denied your purchase.

There may be some logic in the guy in Mappin wanting to know something about you when you buy a Rolex from him, but a Daily Express in WHS……………………….

DavidGordon10
    Participant

esselle, I was denied my purchase of soap in Boots at T3 because I declined to show my boarding card or state my destination and flight number. alexpo1 may think it is a trivial inconvenience: I think it is an impertinent intrusion.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Papillion

You do realise that BT is an entertainment forum, don’t you?

And that includes the occasional wind up from me.

And your Charley story,,,

http://oldguysrule77.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-walmart-senior-greeter.html

Papillion53
    Participant

FDOS – Really? Entertainment? And I thought it was the Grumpy Old Men forum today! – anyway, you sure as heck keep me entertained!!! LOL! Yes I enjoy your wind ups, that’s why I know you will take most stuff in good part!

Hey, you read the same old GOM stuff the DH does!!! Very funny – he sent me the Admiral story!

Anyway, aren’t the OLD ones always the best!!?? 😉 🙂

But, sadly the story of the idiot pilot in the hotel was absolutely true! I will never forget his arrogance.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Really? Entertainment?”

So sayeth Vintage Krug, the methusulah of the wine cellar.

Papillion53
    Participant

You’ll have to explain that one to me???

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

VK often reminds people that this is an entertainment forum, not to be taken too seriously.

The methusulah bit is just a schoolboy play on words.

Edited to add I don’t know VK, so am not implying age or rotundness.

Papillion53
    Participant

Thanks FDoS – couldn’t quite work that one out! He’s right of course, and I did get on my high horse a bit today, but I can’t for one minute imagine any of you will loose any sleep over it! ;-).

Anyway, where is VK, haven’t spotted him around for a while.

Nite nite all! 🙂

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“but I can’t for one minute imagine any of you will loose any sleep over it!”

Loose? OMG, this place is turning into PPrune 😉

Papillion53
    Participant

FDos – knew a few of ’em in my day ….. Oh happy days!!! LOL! Just kidding in case the DH reads this!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 423 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls