Why aircarft doors always on left?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

JoshuaP
    Participant

Does anyone know why aircraft doors are always on the left? I assume it is to do with the pilot being seated on the left or something to do with the gate – or maybe it is so first and business travellers can say to poorer acquaintances “Oh how interesting that you turn right when you get on a plane. What is to the right? I only ever turn left…”

RickInTheValley
    Participant

To be more specific…all modern passenger aircraft have entry/exit and service doors on both the right and left sides. Almost without exception, each door or hatch has a counterpart directly across from it, for quick passenger evacuation in an emergency. However since the beginning of commercial aviation, doors on the left side have been used to passenger boarding, whereas their counterparts on the right side are either kept permanently closed, or used for galley and cabin service. That way, it’s possible to board or deplane passengers, and service the galleys and cabins simultaneously. Also (I am an ex-cabin crew member), occasionally, the right-side doors are used for unusual situations, such as boarding a wheelchair-bound passenger with a special lift, while not interfering with general boarding. Almost certainly having passenger entrance and egress via the left side is related to the captain being seated on this side, to allow him the best view of ramp and boarding activity.

One side note: a very few number of Douglas DC-3 airliners were actually made in the 1930s with only a right-side passenger door. Even photos of those are now a rarity!

sleak76
    Participant

Not sure why on the left specifically, but I know they are to one side of the aircraft so as to free the opposite side for 1. catering and 2. handicap lift vehicles (as mentioned abive) but also 3. cargo doors.. to allow for the cargo doors to be fully opened and cargo loaded/unloaded without interference to the passenger side of boarding the aircraft. It pretty much helps for a quick turn around.

JoshuaP
    Participant

Thank you for both your replies – now it makes sense of course – I just always think about it when I fly. Also very interesting about the DC-3 – a good little fact to store away and bring out to impress!

Inquisitive
    Participant

This probably started to make this similar to a ship. (Aeroplane was known as airship). The Ship left side is called port side and the right side is called starboard. The ship normally anchor with portside to dock. The aeroplane kept similar nomenclature – and by tradition dock on port side.

JoshuaP
    Participant

I also found out a nice little fact. POSH – the word posh comes from the old shipping days when it was prestigious to take a cruise. Port Out Starboard Home – as it was best to be on the port side on the way out – to wave good by or to be seen? and Starboard on the way home.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls