Who will win the Low Cost Airline Battle?

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

MarcusUK
    Participant

A very interesting, broad article from The Sunday Telegraph, regarding the origin of Low Cost Airlines, and the battle within Europe of the current players.
    Could Ryanair have had its day…?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10454522/Low-cost-airlines-have-come-a-long-way.-But-who-will-win-the-battle.html

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good morning, Marcus

The article in question omitted the most important fact regarding low-cost airlines … only those carriers with the lower operating costs will survive.

Having followed the fortunes of LCCs (low-cost carriers) from the late 1970s I have seen so many carriers fail (on both sides of the Atlantic) because their costs got out of hand.

As I mentioned in a recent Snapshot page (the one concerning People Express), Southwest is the only US LCC to have survived since 1972 simply by virtue of having the lowest cost structure.

Ryanair has the lowest cost structure in Europe, if not the world. That is why it should succeed while others may fall by the wayside.

Of course, here I’m referring to short-haul flights. The economics of operating low-cost long-haul are not yet proven as my detailed article in the October issue demonstrates.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls