Cathay Pacific: Who stole the Salt and Pepper

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

A slightly misleading title…but

Well done CX lass

Rather than using the forum for a moan, I thought I’d use it to positively praise Cathay Pacific , and more particularly the check-in lass at Chep Lap Kok.

My friend and I checked in on-line and proceeded to the bag drop at HKG.

She checked our passports and did the normal stuff, she then enquired if we were connecting onward after we landed at Manchester. We replied that yes we were indeed flying onto EDI , but on a separate booking.

“Let’s see what I can do for you” ….. was her helpful response !!!

She then patiently and with humour waited whilst my luddite pal fumbled about with his mobile phone, trying to retrieve the FlyBe details.
    Eventually she had access to his screen and hey presto, our bags were interlined through to EDI and even better, we had in our hands — Boarding passes for the FlyBe sflight.

In summary…..She could have just done her job and I’d have been happy !!

However the difference between ordinary and extraordinary is simply those 5 letters
    It doesn’t take that much ”EXTRA” to make an ordinary experience into a memorable I’ll fly with you again experience !!

She epitomises the Cathay way !!

Oh, the salt and pepper reference…..well that is now an extra!!!
    To save money CX have removed them from the cutlery pack.
    You need to ask for the condiments, as well as the breakfast juice sitting on the trolley.

And my top tip……book the Hindu meal when you make your reservation…delicious !!

BPP
    Participant

I do suspect that this is because they ‘disappear’- into passengers pockets!!
    BPP

Flightlevel
    Participant

Part of CX training – and recent advertising – is to do something extra if requested, or noticed by their staff, and usually they are very helpful.
    One reason why they are often voted in the best two for service?

KSHaggag
    Participant

If there is someone on Earth who would love to sing praises of CX ,that would be myself ( humbly ) .

I have had the BEST ever inflight experiences with CX crew on various types of flights ;long ,medium ,and short mainly in business class .

I do believe the training that CX cabin crew undergo is among the most comprehensive in the Industry ..

CX is indeed among the THREE MOST CIVILIZED airlines in the world !

MarkivJ
    Participant

I love CX and indeed, they always go the extra mile. That said, I flew YVR-HKG on J class ordering a Hindu Veg meal and it was about average. Nowhere near the brilliance of BA’s Indian meal offerings.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=860935]CX is indeed among the THREE MOST CIVILIZED airlines in the world ![/quote]

@KShaggag
    – and the other 2 ??

MarkivJ
    Participant

On my recent flight from yvr to HKG, I was super impressed how all the cabin crew referred to me by name!!

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=860966]

@KSHaggag – and the other 2 ??[/quote]

Ryanair and Ariana Afghan, of course!
    Just kidding.
    A can of worms there but after CX I personally like Asiana Airlines, and Qatar.

capetonianm
    Participant

Swiss and Austrian.

BCal of course but they are sadly demised.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Sad the female cabin crew can now wear trousers! Never thought they were at risk in skirts since they’re too busy and polite and efficient. Maybe some routes have weird pax?

maxgeorge
    Participant

Yes, excellent in flight service, nice 1-2-1 seating, HKG is a pleasure, but…

Of the 8 CX segments I’ve flown this year, 3 were late, and one, CX 897 on Jan 13, was SEVEN hours late.

Their compensation offer? (no EU 261 protection as it was out of LAX)

USD100!

In limited use CX vouchers. Laughable.

Subsequently increased to USD200. For a seven hour in-airport delay and a missed meeting in HK Central.

My only option was their in-flight duty free, limited choice and more expensive than at HKG.

Wonderful cabin crew, though, I’ll second that.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=861395]Sad the female cabin crew can now wear trousers! Never thought they were at risk in skirts since they’re too busy and polite and efficient. Maybe some routes have weird pax?[/quote]

Sadly, yes, they are at precisely that risk. This is one of the main reasons why the Sex Discrimination Ordinance of Hong Kong was amended in 2014 to make it an offence to have a customer sexually harass a person “in the course of seeking to be provided with or being provided with goods, facilities or services by that person”. News reports at the time were full of cases of CX cabin crew being molested.

Sad but true.

Stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=864019]

Sad the female cabin crew can now wear trousers! Never thought they were at risk in skirts since they’re too busy and polite and efficient. Maybe some routes have weird pax?

Sadly, yes, they are at precisely that risk. This is one of the main reasons why the Sex Discrimination Ordinance of Hong Kong was amended in 2014 to make it an offence to have a customer sexually harass a person “in the course of seeking to be provided with or being provided with goods, facilities or services by that person”. News reports at the time were full of cases of CX cabin crew being molested.

Sad but true.[/quote]

I have some former CX crew friends, those types of issues were almost a weekly event for many crew

canucklad
    Participant

I’ll add to the above about how shocking it is, that CX crew (female) feel the need to wear trousers….

It’s a damning indictment on more than quite a few of our fellow males. Those of us who visit HK on a regular basis will have enjoyed the nightlife and will have visited LKF, Knutsford Terrace, SoHo and off course headed up to Wan Chai . I’ve never visited nor been inclined to spend money in certain establishments on Lockhart Road, yet when I visit Amozonia, Joe Banana’s and the bar that’s taken over Delaney’s premises then you’ll be surrounded by very friendly and willing (mostly oriental) young beautiful women . A polite , friendly and assertive thank you, but no thanks keeps everybody happy.

It’s sad therefore that some men attach the same label to all HK women , regardless of where that interaction and engagement happens. Assuming a beautiful HK local you meet in a bar in SoHo is “working” is just disrespectful.
    To those men who then take those ludicrous beliefs further and extend them to CX, an HK airline by ,carrying those prejudices /preconceptions on-board an aircraft is frankly criminal !!

stevescoots
    Participant

Its been a few months since I flex CX long haul and after the past couple of years bashing them for food that makes BA look good it was a nice surprise to see the changes coming on line. Main meal was excellent, I would be happy to receive the lamb in a restaurant, even the presentation was good and the butter was not as hard as a house brick!
    Still no salt and pepper though but the taste was good enough I didn’t need it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls