Who buys clothes at an airport?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

mscldrew wrote:

“……………So either your [sic] lying or embellishing your story to support your belief, observational bias that you don’t and therefore no one shops at an airport store. They just exist illogically in a profitless vacuum.

Or you’re observational skills and knowledge of the retail industry are so poor you’re genuinely mistaken, you do indeed believe that another store is selling a £35 GAP cap in which case your observation and conclusion don’t carry any weight………………… ”

I have never understood why on internet forums some members have to resort to insulting other members, to (they think) lend support for their argument.

The rest of your posting was both interesting, and gave important and informed insight into this debate. You didn’t need to add the words above to help this. You know nothing about me and your words are insulting.

You might wish to apologise for including these words.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Sami
    Participant

Clothes never but in Gulf airports especially, I regularly buy chocolate, cigarettes and Arab sweets which are much cheaper than anywhere on the high street.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=989014]hey make you walk through or past the above high margin/volume items to reach the less profitable clothing and sundries ie. a pharmacy or newsagent.[/quote]

It’s been a while since I was in retail management so things might have changed, so apologies in advance if they have and my comments are out of date
    But , back in the day , clothing had one of the biggest mark-ups in the store.
    And when you take into account so called designer labels those mark ups can be eye watering, especially when you consider that the variance in quality doesn’t match the corresponding increase in price.
    And if you then add in the country of origin and its low cost base , companies like GAP could be described as taking the mick.

IMO, the price they sell their products at so called “designer outlets” are probably more in line with the actual value of the product.
    And using the baseball cap as classic example – including cheap labour and bulk shipping costs, each cap I’d guesstamate would have at least a 400 % mark up !

1 user thanked author for this post.

Window-seat
    Participant

Paul Smith, T5, every time I come down the stairs from the lounge I go in. I think it is habit now and a way of shopping away the boredom of endless travel. It may not be amazing value, my husband works in retail, I know the reality of what I am buying and I don’t care!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I hardly buy anything at airports. I used to buy cigars but with the discount my cigar shop gives me they are cheaper than duty free.
    I did once buy a giant toblerone, 4.5 kgs, under pressure from my sons, who carried it all the way to South Africa. I don’t think it was ever finished!

Apart from that, nowt!

K1ngston
    Participant

Well I for one love to browse and I think the Boss Store at Changi T2 and T3 owes a fair amount of their existence to me and my husband! They are both strategically placed and of course I have to check what the latest and greatest is ( I mean who wouldn’t right?) So I guess I fall into the “I do buy clothes at airport” but then living and working in Singapore, you certainly wouldn’t buy in the stores here ….

Chris_S
    Participant

I once had to purchase a belt at Sin T2 – my belt buckle broke one I was putting it back on after security – in Changi the security is at the gate so I had to go back out to get a replacement – needless to say the only one that fit me (I am rotund but good looking – ask my daughter) cost $200. When the sales assistant told me the price I was shocked and he said “well it is Paul and Shark” My reply was “well where’s Paul because I’m definitely talking to the Shark!”
    I had to buy it as the choice was walking around holding up my pants during a business trip until I found a replacement!

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=989335][/postquote]
    And I bet you look good to this day Chris? 🙂

David
    Participant

I have a fantasy of turning up at an airport empty handed (other than my wallet and passport), looking at the departure boards and picking a flight to any far-flung destination that takes my fancy. I would then go airside, buy a couple of (large) suitcases and all the clothing I needed.
    I think the only reason shops justify remaining open today is in the hope my day will soon come.

RoyJones
    Participant

The only time I bought clothes at an airport was in Vancouver when my wife and myself arrived for a cruise, the airline kept our cases in Dallas. Luckily we did because (1) it was almost impossible to buy on the Alaskan stops and (2) the airline promised the improbable – to deliver the cases to our next port of call. The almost impossible is because we could buy a baseball cap with antlers at every port !! May I add credit to the airline – it refunded all my purchases (I kept the receipts) without quibble. Oh, our cases were waiting in our hotel at the end of the cruise in Vancouver

michaelj2
    Participant

I personally like buying clothes at the airport and have bought a number of items there (more expensive yes) mainly because of the limited selection, no waiting and meets an immediate need

Henryp1
    Participant

I often take advantage of a little spare time to browse and purchase, it’s just very convenient. Sometimes it’s possible to purchase items not available in the stores. Price wise I think it’s always to the advantage of the supplier, but it’s very much a personal preference if the cost is acceptable.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls