Who buys clothes at an airport?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

A short while ago I was on the way to a hot, sunny country when I lost my (baseball type) cap somewhere between landside and airside. The cap had cost me £8 (GBP).

Not knowing when I could get to a shop at my destination, I attempted to buy a replacement in the “duty-free”. The only one for sale was a plain one, with “Gap” on the front and no other markings. They were asking £35 (GBP)for this free advertisement for Gap.I didn’t buy it.

When I got to my destination I was able to buy a good replacement for £12.

But this started me looking at airport stores, and then comparing prices with high street retail in the UK. Invariably, comparing like for like, clothes appear to be twice as expensive in airports. I have also noticed that these shops seem to be largely empty of customers, certainly compared with the electronics and perfume shops. I do appreciate that rentals in these sites in airports are expensive, but you do need customers to pay the rent.

I have also noticed, in some airports, shops selling large suitcases. Now I understand why someone might purchase a small, or even medium sized suitcase in an airport airside shop – but a large suitcase which won’t fit into an overhead locker? Again, invariably these suitcases are much more expensive than the high street.

I should add that in the past I have bought cameras and other electronics at airports (having gone online to compare prices) but not clothes (or suitcases). So, I ask – does anyone know who buys clothes (or suitcases) in an airport shop or why?

capetonianm
    Participant

I have always wondered who would buy large suitcases airside at an airport.

I have only ever bought one item of clothing at an airport (FRA) , a skiing jacket in a moment of madness when I was on my way to northern Finland. It might have been cheaper than buying it in Finland!

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Who buys? I would say it is mainly

1. Impulse/unplanned buys on spur of the moment without looking at the price
    2. Affluent people for whom the difference between £12 and £35 is not important
    3. Travellers who forget something and don’t want hassle of buying on arrival
    4. Conscience buys – eg gifts for kids from busy parent

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=988706][/postquote]

SimonS1

I think all your points are valid – but I also remarked that the shops were never busy. With the high rents they are charged, what kind of business model allows for this?

I sat near the shop that was selling the cap for £35 and in half an hour, in a very busy airport, nobody went in. Some browsed at the front, but then walked away.

esselle
    Participant

The only thing of consequence I have bought in an airport in many years is a very expensive watch.

My wife decided she wanted an “x” watch which was approaching 5 figures.

Passing through T5, I went into the watch shop and saw the model she wanted being sold ex VAT, ie 20% cheaper than I was used to it being. I asked if, as a passenger flying domestically from London to Manchester I was eligible for the VAT free piece, and to my surprise I was told that I was.

I bought the watch at 20% less than UK high street, and was very pleased with myself. And my wife was very pleased with me.

To this day I don’t understand how the VAT rules work for domestic travellers in a mixed use terminal, and if the shop folk made a mistake.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=988721][/postquote]

esselle

As I wrote, I have also bought fromshops that sell the sort of goods such as watches, once I have established that their prices are lower. I also tend to go to airport shops which have a “high street” presence, in case afterwards I find something is wrong. Invariably they are very busy, as are perfumeries, where prices usually are also lower.

The reason is that they are duty-free.

However, the gist of my original post was about clothes at airports – how expensive they are, resulting in a lack of footfall.

You can read about the UK’s VAT rules in airport shops here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33881005

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=988723][/postquote]

Thanks for your reply, but the comment I was making was specifically about deduction of VAT for domestic pax. This is still in my view a grey area as most, if not all, of the news stories cover intra/extra EU VAT and duty exemptions.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=988726]Passing through T5, I went into the watch shop and saw the model she wanted being sold ex VAT, ie 20% cheaper than I was used to it being. I asked if, as a passenger flying domestically from London to Manchester I was eligible for the VAT free piece, and to my surprise I was told that I was.

I bought the watch at 20% less than UK high street, and was very pleased with myself. And my wife was very pleased with me.[/quote]

Did you get a VAT FREE Price or a 20% discount off the full price?

Just bought a branded watch for my son and enjoyed a 20% discount. Easily achievable for most brands especially if you shop around Hatton Garden or know / have access to a Hatton Garden Jeweller.

Gold-2K
    Participant

I’ve bought quite a lot at Paul Smith in T5 over the years, mainly because I rarely get into Central London to go the main store. I don’t think the prices are any different. Certainly don’t shop there for bargains!

thebigseats
    Participant

There are occasions where decent sale prices for clothing (along with a suitably wide range of sizes) make shopping at T5 (& other terminals) very worthwhile. A previous poster mentioned the T5 Paul Smith store. I wholeheartedly agree. My wife has purchased several items there at very favourable prices. I have purchased at T5 too & found it a very convenient option.

If buying a large suitcase one can always gate check it so no issues there at all.

travelworld2
    Participant

In relation to the VAT point, I don’t think that you actually got it VAT free. They simply deducted 20% off the full price. I think they still have to account for the VAT if you are a domestic passenger. So you got a bargain, assuming the price wasn’t inflated in the first place…

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=988740][/postquote]

VAT free

stevescoots
    Participant

in all the years of travel i have only bought a handful of items in the airport

A shirt at Zara in HKG as i dropped food down mine in the lounge and had a meeting to attend when landing
    Some cheap noise cancelling headphones in DXB as i had lost my Bose in HKG
    A pair of Raybans in LHR as i realised I had left mine at home.

Like other most of the time i never see anyone in any of the shops apart from the duty free fags n booze

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=988774][/postquote]

Steve

We seem to be agreed. You made all your listed purchases as “last minute” ones because something went wrong. My point was that you can’t make a sustainable business model, in a place like an airport departure lounge (with their high rents and presumably higher staff costs), based on such purchases.

Of course some shops do very well – not just “fags n’ booze” mentioned by you, but parfumaries, electronics, newspapers and magazines etc.

I note the point made by “thebigseats” that large suitcases can be chaecked in at the gate – but surely there will be a charge for that, making it very expensive. Of course, for some people, convenience is more important than money.

canucklad
    Participant

Adding onto Simon’s 4 points , I’d include some other factors ….

Boredom and Tobleroneitis come into play…..

I purchased a shirt at EDI , all because I was bored , went for a wander and returned with a shirt I didn’t really need but was lured by the 50% off January sales signage -Only worn it once !

And then you’ve got the mystifying Toblerone effect on people, which for reasons only psychiatrists will only really know, turn normal careful consumers into carefree shopaloholics spending money like a Frenchman drinking wine.

Maybe it’s the excitement of holidays and the boredom I suffered.

Oddly, I don’t suffer buyers regret with the shirt because it was so cheap, but still regret not buying a stylised SRU rugby top from another shop at EDI even though it was substantially more expensive , even though it was still discounted (allegedly)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls