Who are WDL Aviation?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Frederic
    Participant

[quote quote=535337]I enjoy flying the 146 despite its age, and the leg room and seat width makes it very comfortable. Swiss 146’s are configured 3/2 and give more room than the 320’s etc.[/quote]

SWISS has stopped flying the BAe 146 quite some time ago, replaced by Bombardier C series, now called A-220

cwoodward
    Participant

There are indications in this thread the the use of old charter aircraft by European legacy carriers has recently increased and the suggestion that BA seem to have an unusually large number of aircraft under ‘maintenance’.

Could it be that it is cheaper for these carriers to lease these clapped-out charter planes rather than to use their own aircraft and crews ?

Here in Asia it is very unusual for the large full service carriers to need/want to out-source to charter aircraft and I am wondering why does 3rd party chartering happen (it seems increasingly frequently) in Europe but not in Asia where overheads and the cost of cabin crew is in most cases less costly than in Europe?

Does this chartering of third party aircraft happen more frequently in winter when there are a lot of charter aircraft used for the summer holiday business sitting around doing not very much and presumably very cost effective to lease?

pheighdough
    Participant

Cwoodward in case you’ve not realised the London City operation apart from the JFK service flown by BA Cityflyer under a separate AOC, so its them rather than BA subchartering these older planes

cwoodward
    Participant

Thank you for the information Pheighdough however I don’t exactly understand its relevance to my post.
    Simplistic perhaps but to me BA subsidiaries and such are still BA.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls