Who are WDL Aviation?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have just received an email from British Airways…

“Flight BA8733 – will be operated by WDL Aviation on an alternative aircraft due to operational reasons. We apologise for any inconvenience.”

Are BA short of aircraft???

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Pretty sure it’s a German company out of Koln/Bonn but that’s all I know.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s a German charter company using BAE 146’s. I’ve flown with them a couple of times. Typical charter config but reasonably roomy seats. I can’t recall any business class though!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

From a branding point of view, doesn’t look good BA using a German registered aircraft, flying a prominent German flag, with an all German crew. However, at least it’s a British made jet.

Staff at Fra reckoned the shortage of aircraft is due the new routes from LCY.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

And the 146’s are certified for use at LCY so I guess that makes sense.

Crew were very friendly and helpful when I flew so your experience with them will be interesting Martyn.

travelworld2
    Participant

They, together with Cello Aviation and JOTA Aviation, provide cover for BA Cityflyer aircraft when the latter are under maintenance.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

MartynSinclair –

I hadn’t realised that the LH Group was starting new routes from LCY. In fact, over the years they’ve gradually been cut-back.

The strike situation may have meant some aircraft have been displaced but, in any case, later this year most of the LH Embraer 195s serving LCY will be transferred across to Austrian Airlines.

http://european-aviation.net/lufthansa-transfer-e-195-austrian-airlines/

Presumably LH will keep sufficient E195s to continue its existing LCY services.

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting Martyn.

Someone was complaining on Flyertalk yesterday that BA had substituted a 30 year old JOTA BAE146 on a Glasgow rotation.

BA must have a lot of planes in maintenance? Either way it isn’t good when they have to substitute a 30 year old antique.

However BA will shift you free of charge to an alternative flight if requested.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I enjoy flying the 146 despite its age, and the leg room and seat width makes it very comfortable. Swiss 146’s are configured 3/2 and give more room than the 320’s etc.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This version was 3-3, couldn’t work out if there was club because where I was sitting it was jam packed but the first 2 rows only had 1 passenger in per row, but there was certainly no club service.

Service busy today because of the LH strike..

I was not that concerned to cancel and take an alternative flight, but it didn’t have the professional BA feel.

Sat 8D, horrible seat as you have the engine blocking the window… I do like to see when the aircraft is about to land (just to make sure we are on a runway :)) )

SimonS1
    Participant

I suppose when it comes to substituting planes BA will go to the cheapest operator. That implies the oldest (fully depreciated) equipment and more often than not an all Y configuration.

I remember coming back from Dublin to Gatwick in he early 2000s when BA had substituted some decrepit EAL 1-11 on the route. We were in C, however there was no C and when taken up with BA it was basically tough. Nothing much changes there then.

STORMIN'
    Participant

AMcWhirter –

LH are moving over their EMB-195s but retaining their EMB-190s which are used on the LCY routes

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

WDL Aviation was operating this BA flight that ended up in Edinburgh rather than Dusseldorf

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=924959]WDL Aviation was operating this BA flight that ended up in Edinburgh rather than Dusseldorf…[/quote]

Go on then. Who among us was secretly hoping that MartynSinclair was on this flight?

<fx: raises hand>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls