Which StarAlliance club to join

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

akguildford
    Participant

Folks

About to move from the US to Norway for a posting and my company has booked me business class United/Lufthansa from Dallas to Stavanger via Frankfurt. (Was hoping to get BA to get up to silver club but no joy)

I am not currently in any StarAlliance airline club, so any ideas on which club would be the most effective for getting tier points? I would imagine flying SAS from time to time in Norway.

Thanks

scott66
    Participant

Look carefully at the details of the reward programme. I’m a member of Thai’s programme, my gripe with their programme is miles expire after two years. One of the reasons for this could be that Thai don’t operate a separate tier points system.

Perhaps the best advice would be to choose the airline you are most likely to use.

Your loyalty programme is an indication of value of your custom by the issuing airline, not necessarily by other members of the same alliance. I remember one of the contributers to this community reporting he was told “You might be important to ———–, but you are not important to us”.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree with Scott, and if the long haul part is mainly with LH then join Miles and More, it’s a great programme. Milesandmore.com

akguildford
    Participant

OK thanks for the heads up.
    CHeers

Uncledude
    Participant

For fastest status Aegean, for lowest award costs Avianca for more expert advice go to flyertalk.com

canucklad
    Participant

A couplke of questions you need research and decide?

1) How frequently are you likely to fly and on what routes?

2) Are you restricted to UA/LH or are there betteroptions?

3) How do you intend to use your redeemed points?

4) Silver will get you lounge access with your chosen FFP but not neccassarily on the airline your flying?

5) Not sure about this, but do not have to consider tax implications if you’re a US tax payer?

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Also, you might want to consider SAS’s precarious financial position.

When airlines are hitting rock bottom financially they normally try to restrict benefits that impact directly on revenue, which includes FFPs……or they could go bust (unlikely as they are state owned) or revert to the LCC model, which would mean exiting Star Alliance……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls