Which is the safest seat to sit in?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Free Lance
    Keymaster

I read this in The Times online: “The crash in Amsterdam appears to support the theory that the safest place to sit in a modern aircraft is in, or close to, the emergency exit rows over the wings.

The fuselage of the Boeing 737, the world’s most popular short-haul aircraft, ruptured in two places but the breaks were well away from the wings. The section of fuselage between the wings is reinforced by a very strong steel box, so passengers in this area are less likely to be struck by torn metal and debris.

Passengers near the exits are also able to escape more quickly, and every second counts in the event of a fire.”

I know it depends on the crash and on the type of plane, but there must be things you can do to at least improve your chances of surviving a crash like choosing an aisle seat so you can get out quicker, and counting the number of rows from where you are sitting to the exits, so if the cabin fills with smoke you can feel your way out.

But I was wondering how many people do this when they are on board and whether anyone really takes safety into consideration when choosing their seat? I for one never have because I figured if there was a crash, chances are I’d be a goner, but maybe now I will start thinking about it.

Sara Turner

I chatted about this with a pilot I know, who recommended the back of the plane as the safest place to sit. Apparently, in a lot of crashes the end of the plane simple breaks off, leaving a very large hole to get out of. Also, fires usually start if the wings rupture, so being over the wings means you’re closer to the source of the fire, while at the back you’re away from it and should have more time to get out.

excessbaggage
    Participant

That’s all very well travelbug, so long as you’re not in the actual row where the plane breaks up – not sure that large hole will be much use to you then…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The safest seats are those which face backwards – so Club World or United business class are your only option there.

Failing that, get a seat close to an exit so you can get out quickly if there’s any getting out to do.

The only problem with sitting by the wings is that these are very noisy seats, and often don’t have a window if you are sitting in economy because there’s a reinforced band going around the fuselage to fix the wings in place.

Chopper
    Participant

However “safe” your seat it is probably more important to remember to adopt correct bracing position with feet tucked under your seat, if a situation happens, otherwise you will find it hard to get out of plane without your feet attached to your legs.

GlobalTravellerTom
    Participant

I was told the safest place was at the rear of the plane, due mainly, to the fact planes tend not to reverse into hills??

spongebob
    Participant

I read somewhere that the toilet is the safest place. Trouble is, how do you get to the toilet in time for impact? Has anyone else read about that?

flyGIRL
    Participant

I think the most important thing is how each individual reacts in such a situation. I heard that young men are most likely to survive because they are more adept at clambering over seats (and injured people) to reach an exit and may be less likely to panic.
    Many people can’t even work out how to undo their seatbelt in an emergency, pressing the button like in a car rather than pulling the flap. I wonder if anyone is working on an alternative to the standard seatbelts to address this problem?

There is a maximum of 90 seconds to escape a burning plane before being overcome by fumes and smoke – not very good odds for anyone. But it is so unlikely to happen that I think I will continue to enjoy the view from my window seat and take my chances.
    http://www.lauramathew.blogspot.com

Ricjackal
    Participant

My Uncle an old world pilot once said that the rear of the plane was the safest place to sit……… “well who s ever heard of a plane flying backwards in to a mountain “!!!!
    Unfortunatly for Uncle Ted he passed on when a bac1-11 (cargo) he was piloting lost an engine and power to No .2 on take-off and fell backwards on to the runway in Africa in 1977 !!!!! (killing 4 on board)
    Ill let YOU all decide the safest place to sit………

Cameron
    Participant

Facing backwards is the safest position, look at military planes all seats face backwards that way if you crash you are thrown into your seat not out of it. other than that each aircraft has a different place that is safest for example Ryan air the safest place is the terminal and if you are on the plane make sure you have some money to pay for your air, life jacket and escape route.

StephenJWhitworth
    Participant

Choose a safe airline and sit anywhere rather than one with a bad safety record and be worried for the entire flight. Aircraft rarely crash and a lot of injuries occur due to passengers not using seatbelts or airlines not following recognised safety proceedures and advising passengers of such. Remember you are hundreds of times more likely to get run over crossing a road at your final destination than you are to be injured on an aircraft getting to that destination!

MarcusUK
    Participant

Pam Ann the comedienne has some advice for QANTAS Safety procedures…!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnkIWEJ3e54

“Nearest Emergency exit?
    Might not be there when we break up over the Indian Ocean!”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls