Which is the best/worst Frequent Flyer programme?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• DavidGordon10
    Participant

As Marcus points out we have been here before, and my reply last time still holds:

I have a BA gold card as a BMI refugee, and that one will just lapse, BA is less use to me than:
    The SAS Eurobonus gold, which is the most useful, as I am part-based in Copenhagen, but also useful is:
    The KLM-AF gold card.

So I will make sure that last two are kept up.

But the thing that surprises me in almost all the posts above is the importance to most of us of the reward flights. These, to me, are of almost zero importance – it is the lounge, the priority check-in, and the priority boarding that matter. The reward flights are given away to the family (one son in Tbilisi at the moment and another in San Francisco, daughter recently back from Beirut).

JasonMyers
    Participant

I would recommend you switch allegience to either Thai Airways or Cathay Pacific for your chosen routes, which both can easily accommodate. I have been Gold with Thai ROP for over 10 years, as well as Marco Polo (Asia Miles) and Emirates Gold.

I just flew into Heathrow from Bangkok a few days ago and was extremely impressed with Thai’s new First Class cabin on the revamped 747 and the service was as always delightful. Thai’s ROP service gives me excellent value with its free upgrade award every year and regular 50% off award travel which has allowed me 4 First Class award trips Bkk-LHR-BKK in the last year and 1 First Class Bkk-MAD-Bkk as well as a recent business class trip on the same route (as they have now dropped First on the Madrid route unfortunately). Thai’s Reservations are always helpful and work hard to assist in whatever way they can and have NEVER let me down, even in late emergency flights.

Whereas Cathay have their plus and minus points, I have recently on two occasions tried to use my milage to book two First Class flights from BKK-LON-Bkk via Asia miles/Marco Polo and they have made me wait until just 3 days before the travel date on each occassion, making it virtually impossible to book itineries (Hotels, Car rental, etc., will all cost substantially more just 3 days before arrival) whereas Thai reacted accordingly and gave me the required flights with plenty of time.

Where Cathay wins out, is if you just turn up at the airport and wish to use your mileage, as long as their is availability, you will be that flight, other airline FFP’s will need a few days to process.

Having flown BA for convenience on many occassions, I do wonder why so many seem to think BA’s is a top airline, because in my opinion they fall far short of the standards set by top Asian and Middle Eastern Airlines?

I hope this helps somewhat in your decision making and wish you much luck on your travels 🙂

NNoah16
    Participant

You are very good to stick with BA for 4800 points!
    I never want to go past 2000.
    Commuting from Australia, I would certainly use Emirates in addition to BA.
    Because of their products, I fly on Emirates or Singapore Airlines long-haul west of London considering the added benefit of First on Emirates costing the same as Club on BA.
    Concord room is certainly not worth this many points.
    Gold BA: Long-haul east of London (incl AA) plus Europe
    Gold LH: Long-haul west of London (incl Singapore airlines) plus Europe (incl SWISS)
    Gold Emirates
    Works a treat, always enough miles to go anywhere anytime if needed.

angusf2000
    Participant

I guess I am fortunate in that I have an Amex Centurion which gives Virgin Gold, Cathay Diamond/OneWorld Emerald and Emirates Gold as well as Priority Pass as part of its membership in the UK.

For years and years I spent my time working on tier point runs to make sure I kept Gold with Virgin and Star Alliance. Now I just pick the time of the flight that works best for me and I care less about which airline it is. Tier points are no longer relevant which frees my thinking.

Also, miles plus money flights on VS which dont attract tier points are great value for me now as I dont need the tier points.

Unfortunately, I agree with the comments above that both Virgin and BA have deteriorated enormously over time. I used to love getting a Virgin flight. Now they are pretty mediocre. I used to love WTplus and Club World. Now Club world is a backward facing small space with awkward eye contact with a stranger and lack of food and drink service.

The only things I value are being able to get into lounges and the timetable.

Virgins Clubhouses still have the edge even over the BA First lounges. BA have these ludicrous rules about whether you can eat or not depending on the ticket and status. Virgin are more open.

StephenHunt
    Participant

The two things I don’t see here are:

Expiry of Avios / Miles
    Lifetime benefits

There are huge differences in how ready airlines are to expire your miles and Qantas offer 3 years extended Chairmans Lounge Card to frequent top tier card carriers, who no longer fly frequently/

Incidentally the BA Gold Guest List only requires 3000 tier points not 5000,
    and BA have renewed my Concorde Card in the past with insufficient points on the account, without me asking. Also BA have renewed colleagues Gold card status when they have fallen just short or requalifying.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Gold Guest List requires either:

3000 TPs on two consecutive years; or

5000 TPs in one year.

It is then 3000 TPs to retain it.

My view on BA is that a Gold Card is not worth the effort. Membership of the Gold Guest List most certainly is.

The Concorde Room is great but, again, I wouldn;t necessarily spend any money to obtain it, given that there are plenty of decent, reasonably priced restauraunts in T5 that produce food at least as good.

Coming back to the Gold Card, I think the Galleries F lounge at T5 is OK. Rather like the flights, the food is variable but normally no more than adequate, and the wine is very good.

All of the T5 lounges are now due a makeover. They are pushing six years old and it is starting to show.

StephenHunt
    Participant

HedgeFund, I first got Gold Guest List when it first started, and with no pre-requirements. Since then it renews at 3k. The whole treatment is very different as you say. I have found it especially useful for redemptions, waiting lists and rebooking for cancelled flights. When a flight to Mexico was diverted to Prestwick where we ended up staying the night I was given an amazing suite in Troon, which I am sure I would not otherwise have been put in.
    BA Lounges at T5 knock spots off many airlines lounges, but I agree they need to refresh them. The Cabanas in the Concorde room are great for long layovers that don’t justify leaving the airport.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Lots of things change. While alliances help, its really important to build loyalty on the airline you fly on most, not rely on the alliance for reciprocity. Singapore for example, are notorious about keeping back inventory for their own, not to mention op-ups.

Its funny how Flying Poo has been picked by some. Each to their own. I think this is the absolute dog of the pack based on both earning and burning.

I used to like Miles and More – till they got so mean about their upgrade plan, not to mention cutting back on the mileage you get for cheap J. You cant even upgrade cheap J any more. They do still have the 2 year renewal cycle which is something. Once you drop below Senator its not worth much though.

All can be hit and miss on availability long haul. I certainly don’t see M&M being better than Exec Club on this front. You have to be flexible. That said, I always get F to Miami with 5 or 6 months notice- and thats supposed to be notoriously difficult based on the on-line chatter. I do that at least annually.

GlynWilliams5
    Participant

I have just flown First class Sydney to Singapore on BA and they provided 5862 points each way via my Qantas FF card for a flight that cost me $4400 return. I also flew Singapore to Denpasar on Jetstar Asia Economy for $400 return and I got

AboveTheClouds
    Participant

As far as availability and diversity of airlines is concerned (especially for long-haul flights), I would say United MileagePlus and Air Canada’s Aeroplan are definitely the best. They have 27 partner airlines across the world so their network is unmatched. Even though Delta and KLM/AF also have a wide network of partners, the availability of rewards is not even close to United or Aeroplan..

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls