Which is the best Skyteam FFP?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Yet again I am seeking advice from this forum so thank you in advance for all suggestions made.

My wife and I have a travel itinerary coming up which is

DAL-SFO with Virgin America
    SFO-HNL-SFO with Hawaiian Airlines
    SFO-LAX-MSY with Delta

All flights are in First class and all would earn miles with Virgin Atlantic for whom I hold a card but I don’t have many miles on that card. My wife however does not have a Virgin card. Both of us are in BAEC so we are covered for Oneworld travel.

Given that our future travel is likely to involve 2 trips a year to from the UK to Texas or Louisiana, travel via Atlanta makes sense to us and with this being a Delta/Virgin hub, it seems to make sense to take out a Skyteam FFP or Virgin FFP card.

Our travel within the EU is more likely to be low cost airlines so whichever SkyTeam/Virgin FFP we take, it would need to encompass our scheduled itinerary, UK-US travel and US domestic travel. Which airline do forum readers recommend we take out?

TominScotland
    Participant

Bath_VIP

Givven your location, why not KLM and make use of their Bristol – Amsterdam service for connections to the US with Delta/ KLM. When you have status, you automatically get seated in Economy Comfort on both short-haul and long-haul when in economy/

ontherunhome
    Participant

Dear Bath VIP

Alitalia were running a status match, so if you have BAEC status they would match it. Alitalia are Sky Team.

Not sure if still running.

Best wishes

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

Alitalia are still running their status match program. Just got my Freccia Alata Plus for a TK Elite Plus card

Ahmad
    Participant

At the moment the best programme for status holders with non Sky Team FFPs appears to be Alitalia. Their status match is available until the end of the year. If your BAEC status is valid beyond 31st March 2016, your status with Alitalia will continue until March 2017. Another advantage is that you get elite status and miles accrual with Etihad Airways too.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Thank you for the suggestions of KLM & Alitalia. I did look at these but as far as I can tell neither will credit miles for the Virgin & Hawaiian airline flights I am about to take. I haven’t been East since 2008 and my EU travel is sporadic at best so I don’t they are suitable for my circumstances.

It looks like a straight choice between Delta & Virgin at the moment unless someone can recommend another option. Since Delta is now a spend based reward system, my instinct is to go with Virgin.

Ahmad
    Participant

Sorry I didn’t realise that you were only looking for Sky Team that allowed accrual on virgin america and hawaiian (even though you had more than adequately described your upcoming trip!). Being based in the UK, I’d go for virgin, but that would be a personal preference rather than an informed choice.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Ahmad,
    Thank you for the info. I had forgotten I was once a member 🙂 Let’s see how this status match is working now 🙂

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Bath VIP

If you want a Sky Team card that will also get points with Virgin operated flights then the Delta scheme is really the only one that will allow this (without going into small print of every airline). Some may give you points on DL flight numbers operated by VS – but if you plan to use Premium Economy you might struggle to get a good fare on a DL flight number on VS Premium.

Depending on your use in future of other sky team members you may find easiest to keep to the VS FF that you already have (as that covers a multitude of carriers) and in UK have the option of a VS Credit Card (if you don’t use a BA one).

canucklad
    Participant

Would rather positively encourage a particular scheme, sadly don’t know much about Skyteam, excepting for the need to tell you that I’ve fallen out of love with Flying Blue….

Simply because there is expire date on miles accrued, I don’t mind losing status due to lack of flying , but miles too….just a bit mean !!

MarcusGB
    Participant

I stay with KLM / Flying Blue, certainly for the availability and ease for redemptions on line, in your own time, with many choices of Airline.

All FFP’s have cut back for earning miles, increased redemption rates. All FB require is to make a flight each 2 years., and your miles do not expire…not much to ask for true frequent flyers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls