Which European cities offer cheapest rates from the US for a last minute summer getaway (Economy)

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I may get a week off mid-July (yes, 2 weeks from now) and want to go to Europe. I’ll be flying from Seattle, Economy class (Portland and Vancouver BC not options).

I searched on Kayak. Flights to Oslo and Copenhagen are about half the price to AMS, LON, FRA, CDG, etc.! (approx $750 vs $1500). Any other European cities you’d recommend I search (cheaper to fly into from the US)?

If I end up choosing a city I’ve never been to (like Oslo or CPH), I’ll spend the entire week there (in that country). If not, I’ll use an LCC for intra-continent travel.

FYI I’ve been to Iceland recently so didn’t consider it in my search.

Thanks again!

onajetplane
    Participant

I recommend the Ita Matrix as you can input a number of destination cities and it will pull up the cheapest fares out of all you input. You can’t buy through the matrix, but it shows you the fare is available.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. I couldn’t find a multi-destination option. I’ve been entering each EU hub one by one.

onajetplane
    Participant

On the matrix in the destination section just separate each airport code with a comma and you can search quite the range of different arrival airports…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Markiv

The best deals do change, but Scandinavia seems to be good at the moment.

You could also take a look at Dublin (DUB) and Milan (MXP), apologies if this doesn’t work, as I haven’t checked for a while, but there have been good deals in the past.

Also, could you get a low cost flight at the US end and travel via Canada and use Air Transat? I hear they sometimes have good deals, although I never used them and have no idea if it’s a sardine like experience 😉

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks guys! This is why I come to this website… I get really well thought of responses. many thanks again!

Speedbird189
    Participant

This might sound a little odd, but try Luxembourg. Famtastic deals to PHL and JFK right now. Only problem is flights to LUX arrive into T3 rather than T5 and a long connection is rherefore required.

MrMichael
    Participant

Look at Icelandair destinations. Via Iceland they do cheap fares across the pond, I don’t think it is a very comfortable trip, but you get what you pay for.

ontherunhome
    Participant

Dont just consider the ticket price, look at hotel and cost of living, local transport etc. Oslo is very expensive, as is Scandinavia in general.
    Also weather in the summer is warmer and drier further south. Poland /Warsaw is a great city /country with huge amounts of history, and value, as is Budapest in Hungary. Good food too. Italy if you stay away from tourist hot spots, I love Bologna, compact renaissance city with oldest university in Europe, great pasta , great food. I stay in Mercure opposite railway station, bus from airport, trains for visiting Florence 35 minutes away. Hope this helps.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate your inputs.

Speedbird: Unfortunately SEA-LUXisn’t that cheap (I’d prefer to keep all flights in the same ticket).

Mr.Michael: I’m a fan of Icelandair! I travelled SEA-Reykjavik 4 years ago and they are what they say on the tin: nothing more, nothing less. Sadly their peak summer rates aren’t that attractive. Plus I love the short transit times.

ontherunhome – great points sir! I will most likely be staying with my cousin (she lives in Copenhagen). But in general, I love staying in hostels with self catering kitchens (great way to meet like minded travellers) so I save quite a bit on the cooking and eating out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls