Which Business Class Should I Choose

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

• Anonymous

MadProfessor
    Participant

I’m posting here because I hope you can give me some advice based upon first-hand experience.

I’m travelling LON-CPT this year with my better half and I’m planning on taking her business class because she’s a little scared of flying after she got a DVT last year. I also want to propose to her in CPT.

Anyway…which airline should I choose.

For the same money I can get BA Club World (AMS-LHR-CPT), Qatar, KLM or Air France. For slightly more money I can get Emirates or Etihad.

Which should I choose and why? Further, is it worth the 50-100% extra (depending upon airline) to go all the way to First?

Thanks everybody.

binabdulaziz
    Participant

British Airways, connecting through London, long queues, many bus journeys, feels bad. First class seats should be in museum, very old.

Qatar very good, Doha efficient, excellent service in business and first class.

KLM/Air France I have not used.

Emirates varies, seat and service in business – think carefully, good first class, if the price is right. Check for ‘2 for 1’ deal via travel agent.

Etihad very good, business and first class.

NTarrant
    Participant

Ignore the last comments about BA, easy transfer through T5 bit of a walk but no more than Schipol, less chance of a bus journey in T5. First class seat good as is Club World.

BABenji
    Participant

Not strictly true about BA…arriving from AMS you will land at T5 and your flight to CPT will also depart from T5, so the chances of “many bus journeys” is limited.

Club World is, in my opinion, a great product for long haul. The service in First is excellent, although the hardware is looking a little old now (that said BA have recently launched their new First cabin).

My one experience with Etihad was really good and would certainly fly with them again.

Henryp1
    Participant

I would choose BA 1st, T5 transfer is easy and then escape to the CCR +/- the Elemis spa. I believe that where possible its always best to go for 1st for the space and less passengers. Personally I dont like Doha airport.

binabdulaziz
    Participant

Mr NTarrant and Mr Benji

London Terminal 5 has 20% bus journeys, British Airways purser tell me, I take many bus rides at London.

You don’t know!!!!

Also security for connections very slow!!!

BABenji
    Participant

NTarrant, would you like this one, or shall I respond to it?

NTarrant
    Participant

BABenji, I am sure I will miss something so please feel free to add.

Mr Binabdulaziz you have taken many bus rides in London, they are probably red ones with a ticket machine at the front. A BA purser has told you that 20% are bus journeys at T5, yes there are certainly some bus movements at T5 but I doubt that it is 20% of all arriving and departing flights. Even when T5C is completed there will be some bus movements still required.

There are many airports, including Dubai and Paris which even still have long bus journeys. But perhaps the MadProffessor will not mind a short bus ride between flights at T5.

You say “You don’t know” why do you say that? I along with BABenji travel to and from T5 very regular, so we do know and would not comment against your perseption if we didn’t have considerable experience of using T5. As for security as already mentioned in other threads this has improved since T5 opened.

Over to you BABenji

binabdulaziz
    Participant

Mr NTarrant

I don’t understand red bus with ticket at front. What you mean?

Purser told me 20% – you know more than him? You work for British Airways?

Also wait in aircraft for bus long time sometimes and can be raining when going on bus, not good, UK cold in wintertime.

I also using London airport often.

New terminal at Dubayy is good, old terminals not good.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Nowadays in this Forum a thread starts with something (often silly) and then continue to be a BA/Heathrow bashing or BA/Heathrow supporters posting. Very Intersting!.
    MadProfessor – if you are making a important journey like proposal/marriage/honeymoon with your better half, why are you so bother about a short journey LON-CPT? Travel at the last seat of the economy class – let the stewardess know about your plan and they will really take care of you both in any airlines. Or start the south african experience with south african airlines from London. If you do not take the economy class advise, go in first class of SAA. Transfer at any airport is bad, including T5 (including security check-in one more time) – but why bother – just do not keep any hand luggage – just follow the crowd snugling with each other. Cheers.

NTarrant
    Participant

I think you missed the reason why the MadProffessor wanted to travel First or Business/Club. If transfering at LHR it is better to stay with one airline and one terminal than have to transfer between say T5 and T3 or T4 and T3.

alwaysinclub
    Participant

I certainly would prefer Ethiad over Emirates anyday. Correct comment on variable service, very strange but terminal 3 in Dubai is very good and lounge facilities good.
    I have never transfered through T5 so wouldn’t know, but I can’t imagine it is worse than the CDG effort! Schipol is just an opportunity to exercise as you walk (then run) forever!
    Go for BA Club World!

MadProfessor
    Participant

Hi there folks

Thanks for the views; please keep them coming.

Just to clarify I live in London and I’m looking for a flight to Cape Town in business class. My choices at a similar price range are Qatar, Emirates and Etihad with 2 stops (hub plus Jo’berg) or BA starting in Amsterdam and then transferring through LHR. This isn’t ideal but it’s 40% of the LHR-CPT price.

I think NTarrant has the point. I want to fly business class because my girlfriend is terrified of flying after her last flight left her with a DVT. Although she’ll be taking all the correct medical precautions she is scared and I thought flying business class would make her more comfortable and the whole thing exciting.

So basically I’m trying to work out who has the best business class service taking into account that I can fly BA which is basically direct or with the middle eastern airlines involving two stops.

The AMS-LHR part of the BA flight isn’t an issue because we can do a weekend away to Amsterdam to use up that part of the ticket.

Finally, having never flown anything other than premium economy will business class be impressive enough or is First Class really worth that extra step. It’s interesting that premium economy LHR-CPT costs more than AMS-LHR-CPT in business class!

Thanks again for all of your comments and keep them coming.

G

Inquisitive
    Participant

NTarrant – I did not miss the point. I am amazed someone going on a trip for making one of the most important decision of one’s life and he is bothered about such silly things. If someone ask for advise on such an open forum, everyone is entitled to give his based on individual experience and what he would have done in this scneario. For AMS-CPT one does not have to go via Heathrow – direct flights are available. I am assuming there is other business or the better half taking the flight from London. If my better half is scared of flying, I will take a cruize for proposal. MadProfessor – please do not spoil your dream holidays by booking with BA (could go on strike any time) or travel via Heathrow (poor imigration facility – if you have to go out, chance of loosing luggage in a connecting flight – 25%, Lounges – so so, airport food and shop – 10% more costly than most european airport, crowded, etc.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls