Which airline’s FFP gives genuine benefits?

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

Hengli, Frequent Flyer schemes were developed in the US aimed at those frequent flyers who flew many many miles, the US having taken to mainstream aviation long before other continents due to the topographical challenges and the earlier integration of the continent.

The airlines were trying to increase loyalty on frequent flyers as the name suggests. They are not aimed at the Bucket and Spade brigade who fly once or twice a year down the road on vacation as the spend these consumers have is secondary in the business model of full service flag carriers. The qualification levels are set to attract the type of frequent flyer the airlines want loyalty from.

The benefits they offer are primarily aimed at those travellers whose budget or whose emplyers do not afford them any level of comfort or service, ensuring they fly on the least advantageous tickets. Therefore the benfits aimed tend to build towards a more first class product. In the US this tends to means upgrades and avoidance of charges for extras such as bags, seat reservations and change fees.

I think the nature of this post is observing that if you normally travel first or business then most of these benfits give you little if nothing. Of the published benfits normally easier award redemption and avoidance of fees are the major ones though BA I believe do use their lounges as a perk though they are cuttign back on this now.

Most carriers use the FFB schemes to identify the real money clients (though BA apparently have only recnetly started to do this) and offer them additional services, benefits and VIP treatment but this tends to be done covertly without any transparency leading to sepculation about black cards, concierge keys etc.

Airline miles are not freebies as they have to be earned. You only get the miles if you sit on the flight. Nothing in this world is truly free.In the US and progressively more countries there have been attempts by employers to acquire the rights to the FFB miles from their employees. These have by and large been struck down by the courts due to the fact that although the amount of miles can depend on fare paid the earning is based on the actions of the traveller and require that consideration. Not wishing to concern you but some jurisdictions are now interpreting FFB miles as taxible benfits and including them in Income Tax provisions making the member liable to pay tax on miles redeemed (this is because although they have a redemption value they do not hold a value of their own so in the case of airline acquisition or termination, there is no legal liability for FFB miles.
    Most carriers operate additional schemes that reward loyalty from employers by giving them additional miles as corporate travel policies (and in many countries bribes) were affecting travel policy with regard to supplier selection.

As regards the price of air travel this has fallen rapidly since the great work of Sir Freddie Laker and People Express to a level of percentage of average income that is much more affordable than up to the 1960’s. What has deepened is the divide between the premium cabin(s)( remember there many routes with only one class and on the others only First and Coach) and the back of the bus. The stinginess you refer to has been an airline business reaction to the preference amongst ticket purchasers (corporate and personal) to get the cheapest fare no matter how bad the product is. It is a consumer trend not a supplier one (see the pax figures for Ryanair, Easyjet, Southwest).

I am glad you like BMI, it is many years since I flew them as I fell out with UAL but I would suggest you continue to sample some of the other excellent carriers (particularly outside Euope) around the world as you may be pleasantly surprised.

Happy flying

Swissdiver
    Participant

BA Lounges’ “Any time access” WAS a genuine benefit. Other than that, there is not much (and I am premium on the three big alliances). So it leads to miles “generosity” and my feel on this one is One World (BA) is the best and M&M is (by far) the worse.

RichHI1
    Participant

I have been top level on all three major schemes, currently only maintain one world due to flight patterns. For me the only real benefit is the level of service I receive from the AA Executive Platinum Support Line for rebookings and sorting out glitches.
    I have been seeing posts from BA members that redemption is becoming harder and I think that is a global trend as Airlines try to push revenue in the current economic situation.It does seem to be easier on AA though and ironically on BA flights as the surcharges BA levies make these flights unpopular with AA members

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls