Which Airline won “Superbrand 2013”?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

Well knock me down with a kipper for not knowing that the Superbrand 2013 winner – Rolex is an airline too! I thought it was just watch company, can you write a trip report about it?

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1172210/rolex-named-number-one-consumer-superbrand-2013

It is purely Britain’s strong consumer B2C brands – Strange it mentions Sainsbury’s but no mention of Tesco; Jack Daniel’s gets a mention but not a single scotch, LSE but not Oxbridge; Radisson Blu but not Q (who beat Radisson in the Which? Analysis). Caterpillar not Britain’s own JCB; Hardys being noteworthy but not Krug ok, but the Institute of Chartered Accountants ICAEW being mentioned and not the Royal Institution is wrong as is McDonalds when Byron is sooo much better- all goes to show the award is not about genuine quality or history, just profile/awareness.

BA came 2nd in B2C in 2013 – hardly in the doldrums as claimed.

http://www.superbrands.uk.com/results

Tramor01
    Participant

Here is the judging criteria for Superbrands as found on their website….. Given the criteria which should be met…. I’ll let you judge for yourselves if BA are worthy winners ;-))

‘A Superbrand has established the finest reputation in its field. It offers customers significant emotional and/or tangible advantages over its competitors, which customers want and recognise.’
    In addition, the voters are asked to judge brands against the following three factors:
    Quality. Does the brand provide quality products and services?
    Reliability. Can the brand be trusted to deliver consistently?
    Distinction. Is it well known in its sector and suitably different from its rivals?

JohnHarper
    Participant

Tramor01 – 05/03/2014 20:20 GMT – Thank you!

Quality. Does the brand provide quality products and services? No!

Reliability. Can the brand be trusted to deliver consistently? Absolutely not!

Distinction. Is it well known in its sector and suitably different from its rivals? It certainly is, no one else has such overcrowded premium cabins staffed by such inconsistent crews serving such poor food.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

May I also add a forum welcome to Glassman. I hope you’ll stick around for some time and not be put off by the occasional bickering!

Well done to BA for this award. However I feel it was won by perception, thanks to some good marketing, rather than by the reality which if you have to travel with them long haul is very different.

I’m sure all SM had to say about BA being pioneering etc is all very true. But then it was not BA but BEA and BOAC! It’s a great shame that when those great airlines morphed into BA they didn’t bring their standards of service, innovation and pioneering with them.

Just like Great Britain had an empire which has sadly been lost, BA I think has, despite great results, sadly lost its way.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

So what makes this survey/award credible?

SimonS1
    Participant

The fact that BA won it!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

ha ha – would Skytrax go up in everyone’s estimation if BA won that too?

onajetplane
    Participant

I honestly think that SM’s constant posts about BA make me think badly of the brand when I come on this forum… zzz… And that is coming from an avid Executive Club member…

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Well done BA…getting better and all down to Willie “Mr Cool” Walsh…rock on….

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers for the link Bigdog

Loved the below comment.

The luxury watchmaker shares the list with an array of premium and prosaic brands. Troubled airline British Airways clearly still resonates with consumers and was up from 33rd last year to fourth place in this year’s ranking

I also spent a wee bit of time probing about, now I’m sorry, but as a consumer if I see these companies logo’s I still wouldn’t have a clue who they are or what they sell….

Bird & Bird…. Custard makers?
    Clear Channel …. Pimple removers
    Excel London….. Has O2 sold the dome
    Hardy’s …I’m presuming the Vino merchants, but a super brand !
    ICAEW….International consolidated additional extra work ??
    Howden’s Joinery… A Livingston boy done good !
    Iron Mountain….. Do they supply the office with water or boxes?
    Polypipe … Providers of pipes for people with false teeth
    Silver Cross…. C.O.E over 60’s club
    Vaillant… Can’t even be bothered to Valiant correctly
    Weber Shandwick… A lawyers in Edinburgh’s West End ?

I know that I’m being a bit sarcastic, and it’s nice to see BA win some bling, but I’m not going to take this award all that seriously. To me Twitter is now more iconic than Facebook and my company doesn’t even get a mention, yet I know that we constantly win awards for marketing and promoting our brand.

The best way to sum all this up is, to think about this…… After conducting a quick survey with colleagues …

Andrex came in at number 12, and yet we’ve not seen that puppy for over 2 years, what evilness is a foot ?

conshaldow
    Participant

On a similar yet more “Rebrand” rather than Brand list has been published by Rebrand™, with the top 100 companies who have showcased the most effective brand transformations to the world this year.

Included in the list is the Feature company – Fiji Airways – along with American Airlines, Air New Zealand and Royal Brunei Airlines.

I guess this would be classed as the “most improved” brand list and good to see a fair few more airlines who are doing a lot to improve their brand to the world. I have to say American, Fiji and NZ have all stood out in the last year. I have been less aware of Royal Brunei but obviously it has worked hard to deserve it’s place on this list.

Hopefully shall see more airlines in future years following suit as a good brand can go a long way in today’s market.

canucklad
    Participant

Many a moon ago back in Canada a marketing firm polled thousands of Canadians on what their favourite colour was ……Blue/ Red topped the poll as expected ………

Without naming any particular company they released ads on how beautiful oranges were!

The same company then launched this promotion…….

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mMbCm8XGBL_by-pXYihXQTA.jpg

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/cp-229×300.png

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&biw=1054&bih=546&tbm=isch&tbnid=sKWUS8tduvdURM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmagazinesadsandbooks.com%2FMagazine-Ad-for-CP-Air-Airline-747-Service-to-the-Orient-1975-P2184059.aspx&docid=2MbAGhc0P9oxMM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Facimg.auctivacommerce.com%2Fimgdata%2F0%2F2%2F4%2F6%2F4%2F0%2Fwebimg%2F4226144.jpg&w=384&h=500&ei=YnkYU93_MKaA7QaA4oHACQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=487&page=7&start=66&ndsp=12&ved=0CMECEK0DMEw

Added to this, the TV & radio adverts started to appear and for the next 6 months the Canadian public as well as targeted overseas audiences learned how beautiful oranges were! And if the 747 featured it wasn’t just an orange, it was a super orange.

After the campaign had run its course, they polled again …..No guess for what had become Canada’s favourite colour!!! Including in Saskatoon, where CP didn’t fly !

More importantly and pertinent to this topic, CP’s brand awareness shot up, and not just in Canada.

People in the UK / Japan and the US were asked to name a Canadian airline and CP was mentioned, not AC and they specifically linked the airline to the colour orange.

Marketing people could convince us that salt was sugar and pepper was salt and there would be somebody somewhere that would believe it !

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls