Which airline serves the best food in economy?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

RebeccaBallatine
    Participant

I have generally found Virgin Atlantic and SAS to be pretty good but would be interested to hear what other travellers think. Particularly as most airline food in economy gets such a slating – generally because it is awful, I grant you! But there must be some airlines out there that do a better job of it than others…

robsmith100
    Participant

Actually on of the best airline meals I have ever had has been in Economy and that’s when i was flying from LHR -IAH with Continental. It was a wonderful Beef with a Jus served with green beans and mashed potato. It was so tasty I ended up finishing my then GF’s meal (she is a light eater) and an spare one offered to be by the cabin crew after I complemented them on it.
    I am generally happy with the food served on Continental.
    Regards,
    Rob.

continentalclub
    Participant

The Times ran a taste-test on a limited number of carriers’ longhaul offerings a little while ago:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/holiday_type/food_and_travel/article6632918.ece

and no-one could forget the famous Virgin letter:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/4344890/Virgin-the-worlds-best-passenger-complaint-letter.html

With reference to The Times’ findings, I’ve sampled both BA and CX Economy recently, and I’d tend to agree with what they thought in 2009:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Cathay-Pacific-B747-400-Economy

Overall though, I’m tending more and more towards taking my own food, completely or supplementarily on more and more flights these days, especially in Economy. Ultimately, the quality can be as high as you like, but if quantity is lacking then that’s potentially a greater issue for me.

Ellwood
    Participant

You should try Asiana to Seoul and onwards, people are so surprised by the quality of the food and it is so fresh.
    They have Korean Bi Bim Bab, Kimuchi and Bulgogi which are delicious (even if they make the whole plane smell a bit)

Only problem is they have the beige interioir of a 1970s caravan.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

.. Shepherd’s Pie on steroids courtesy of Heston and umami coming to BA flights near you soon…

Rabbz_Staralliance
    Participant

eejp1007,

You should never tell a Korean that Kimchi is Kimuchi (even though its the right pronunciation in Jap because of cultural feelings) My fav is ANA Katsu-Don on the NRT-JFK flight and the hamburger that they serve before landing with a nice yummy plain yogurt.

The other fav is Thai’s food, just anything that they served on HKG-BKK for food, it is all delicious!

Rabbz_*A

Davethepubsinger
    Participant

My wife and I have just travelled LHR-AUH and back with Etihad and found the food in economy was excellent. I had beef in red wine on the outward leg, my wife having a chicken curry and on the way back I had Lamb biryani and my wife had the chicken option again (sorry, can’t recall what it was). We were also treated to METAL cutlery. Certainly the best food in economy we have had.

BlackTower
    Participant

Make/take sandwiches folks
    It is all rubbish.
    I even do so in First

Inquisitive
    Participant

Asian airlines are far better compared to European airlines (US airlines can not be figured in any discussion) as far as food in economy class. Singapore,, Malaysian, Thai, Jet airways, Air India, Asiana, Cathey pacific provides reasonably good food and drinks on long haul flights.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Hopefully Prof Peter Jones will provide us with his insights, meanwhile Heston did note that umami is more prevalent in Asian cuisine eg Soy, Curries. Umami retains its flavour despite height/humidity whereas salt does not.
    This may be the reason why Asian airlines are believed to provide more flavourful dishes.

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

Turkish serve surprisingly good food in economy. If you can overlook their surprisingly poor safety culture.

philamlife
    Participant

I think that the Sandwiches served on the Cathay Pacific Economy flights short haul flights are not good and dont add value considering the price one pays to fly with them . Cathay Pacific is doing this just to save costs and so that they can spend it on advertising how good they are!!! We pay the same airfares with PAL and yet we get better and more sumptuous food than on Cathay.

PanzerChuks
    Participant

I concur with ‘Davethepubsinge’r re Etihad.Also their ME rivals Qatar & Emirates for quantity & reasonable quality.

skywards
    Participant

When i’ve flown with my wife and kids i thought Virgin Atlantic were very poor, Emirates were ok…but my favourite airline meal in economy was with Thai.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls